Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
icepeople

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby icepeople » July 16th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Atari 2600

The various modern homebrews at AtariAge, starting with some '80s arcade ports that are astonishingly similar to the originals. I ponder how history might have changed had these been released before the Great Crash.

Some, not all, examples:

- Galagon
- Scramble and Super Cobra
- Mappy
- Draconian
- Star Castle
- Wizard of Wor

https://youtu.be/iWtN3bm_Hfw
https://youtu.be/J36Fd8EGHIc
https://youtu.be/J0uxnSXAoek

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2020, 2:17 pm

MSR1701 wrote:As far as Hotline Miami... Not my cup of tea. Played the first game on Vita, and put it down almost immediately.

I did the same thing with Hotline Miami, putting it down almost immediately. When I forced myself to go back to it a few months later and get past the learning curve, it became one of my all-time favorite games. The concept confused me at first, so I'm definitely glad I stuck with it.

As for Shadow Complex, my opinion of why it is so under-the-radar has more to do with the timing of its release. It was one of the early full-scale download-only games on consoles when it was released on Xbox 360 in 2009. Digital distribution was big on PC by then, but it was still in its infancy on consoles. And there wasn't much reason for console gamers to switch to digital yet... most of the games weren't worth owning. (Castle Crashers and Braid were two of the only highly-regarded digital games on Xbox 360 at that point, and the rest was mostly a small pile of much lesser titles.) And hard drives were too small (most were 20 GB or less), so full-size games weren't really feasible. Shadow Complex came along and had crazy good reviews, and that's why I made the jump and bought it. But I think it was ahead of its time as a digital release for it to catch on the way it deserved. Digital was finally big by the time the Shadow Complex Remastered was released on Xbox One and PS4 in 2016, but the game was old news by then and no one took interest. I haven't played it since 2009.. I'd like to revisit the game on PS4 at some point and see if it still holds up today.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 16th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:As far as Hotline Miami... Not my cup of tea. Played the first game on Vita, and put it down almost immediately.

I did the same thing with Hotline Miami, putting it down almost immediately. When I forced myself to go back to it a few months later and get past the learning curve, it became one of my all-time favorite games. The concept confused me at first, so I'm definitely glad I stuck with it.

As for Shadow Complex, my opinion of why it is so under-the-radar has more to do with the timing of its release. It was one of the early full-scale download-only games on consoles when it was released on Xbox 360 in 2009. Digital distribution was big on PC by then, but it was still in its infancy on consoles. And there wasn't much reason for console gamers to switch to digital yet... most of the games weren't worth owning. (Castle Crashers and Braid were two of the only highly-regarded digital games on Xbox 360 at that point, and the rest was mostly a small pile of much lesser titles.) And hard drives were too small (most were 20 GB or less), so full-size games weren't really feasible. Shadow Complex came along and had crazy good reviews, and that's why I made the jump and bought it. But I think it was ahead of its time as a digital release for it to catch on the way it deserved. Digital was finally big by the time the Shadow Complex Remastered was released on Xbox One and PS4 in 2016, but the game was old news by then and no one took interest. I haven't played it since 2009.. I'd like to revisit the game on PS4 at some point and see if it still holds up today.

If it shows up on the Switch, I'll gladly give it a go.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 16th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Here's a few that come to mind...

1) The Magic of Schererezade (NES) An Arabian themed action/RPG with pretty good graphics and music that has been a personal fave of mine that for some reason or other has been overlooked by most game reviewers. And as is the case with a lot of games released by Culture Brain, it has killer box art that to me is very reminiscent of the box art in the early Atari 2600 games. Which I always thought was pretty cool.

2) The Guardian Legend (NES) I am more than a little surprised that The Critic hasn't reviewed this one yet, as it is considered by many who have reviewed this game as a hidden gem in the NES library.

3) WCW World Championship Wrestling (NES) The only 8 bit wrestling game that featured wrestlers from the long dead and onetime rival to the WWE. It's a pretty decent way to kill an hour or two once you can get past the weird MMA styled play mechanics ( you have to punch and kick your opponent until he drops to one knee in order to get them in a move) and the weird grapple meter. It also features some really clean voice samples, including the voice of one Paul E Dangerously in the intro, who is better known to fans of the WWE Universe as Paul Heyman, spokesman to Brock Lesnar. Which is a nice touch indeed..

4) Dark Castle (Genesis) A beyond terrible game with controls that can be best described as busted. Every review I've seen of this game pretty much say the same things about it. But I'd like to see The Critic's take on it..

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 17th, 2020, 9:16 am

WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color games (most are licensed games or RPGs that are text heavy, though some can be played without any knowledge of the language. Examples are Klanoa, Gunpey, Rockman and Forte, Rockman EXE WS, Guilty Gear Petit 2, and Pocket Fighters)

More Evercade Carts

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » July 17th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Glover (N64) - I have waited a LONG time for the Critic to review this one. Truly one of my all-time favorites.

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2) - Given how many GTA titles he's looked at, I'm surprised he overlooked this prequel to GTA III.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) - Same as above, but a prequel to Vice City.

Hot Wheels: Turbo Racing (N64) - So far, he's only looked at one Hot Wheels game on GBA. Of the two Hot Wheels games that I've played, this one's the best.

NBA Shootout 2000 (PS1) - First NBA game I've ever owned, and quite an improvement over 98.

Omega Boost (PS1) - Hidden gem from the developers of Gran Turismo. The PS1 era has seen plenty of awesome intro sequences IMO, but the one in this game is the best I've seen in quite some time.

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (GBA) - Since he liked the original, he may also enjoy this sequel.

Saints Row 2 (Xbox 360) - As far as GTA clones go, this is the best one I've played. You can even go streaking in this one! :lol:

Scarface: The World is Yours (PS2) - As a fan of the movie, this game (also a GTA clone) is a dream come true.

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (PS1) - This and Glover are the two games I'm practically dying to see him review. This one has a special place in my heart.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon) (PS1) - Because we may as well have the rest of the trilogy covered.

Spyro: Reignited Trilogy (PS4) - Great remaster of the PS1 trilogy. Would like to see this down the road too.

Test Drive 5 (PS1) - One of the earliest games I've owned. It's not great, but it does have one of my favorite gaming soundtracks of all time.

Unreal Championship (Xbox) - I really dig this one. Basically a port of Unreal Tournament 2003, and since the Critic seemed to enjoy the Dreamcast port of the original he might like this one too.

Wario Land 4 (GBA) - Yet another childhood favorite of mine.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 17th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Mario Golf (Gameboy Color): Considering that the VGC enjoyed Golf Story, he might as well play the game that inspired it.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 17th, 2020, 8:26 pm

It's not something I want as such, but I'm surprised the Critic has never touched the Ys series of action RPGs (at least not the 8- or 16-bit entries, haven't checked the more recent ones).

I've only played Ys 1-3, but all three games are pretty much in the Critic's wheelhouse, and none use the kind of stats-heavy gameplay the Critic doesn't seem to like (at least not in turn-based RPGs).

I also think two isometric action RPGs on the Genesis, Landstalker and Light Crusader, deserve a review. I really enjoyed both games and I don't see anything about them that would keep them out of the Critic's wheelhouse. The music on Light Crusader is out of sight!

Otherwise I'd like to see the review libraries get completed, especially Astrocade and 32X since they're so close. And I'd like to see Destination Earthstar get a re-review, because the current review completely ignores the game's side-scrolling sections!

EDIT: Oh, I did think of one more -- the fan translation of the 3DO survival horror game Dr. Hauzer. That's a must.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 17th, 2020, 8:41 pm

goldenband wrote:It's not something I want as such, but I'm surprised the Critic has never touched the Ys series of action RPGs (at least not the 8- or 16-bit entries, haven't checked the more recent ones).

I've only played Ys 1-3, but all three games are pretty much in the Critic's wheelhouse, and none use the kind of stats-heavy gameplay the Critic doesn't seem to like (at least not in turn-based RPGs).

I also think two isometric action RPGs on the Genesis, Landstalker and Light Crusader, deserve a review. I really enjoyed both games and I don't see anything about them that would keep them out of the Critic's wheelhouse. The music on Light Crusader is out of sight!

Otherwise I'd like to see the review libraries get completed, especially Astrocade and 32X since they're so close. And I'd like to see Destination Earthstar get a re-review, because the current review completely ignores the game's side-scrolling sections!

EDIT: Oh, I did think of one more -- the fan translation of the 3DO survival horror game Dr. Hauzer. That's a must.

As much as I'd like to see a review of Darxide for 32X, that game is pricey to play legally, what with only the PAL cart in existence, which would require a PAL Mega Drive, PAL 32X AND a compatible TV.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 17th, 2020, 8:51 pm

MSR1701 wrote:As much as I'd like to see a review of Darxide for 32X, that game is pricey to play legally, what with only the PAL cart in existence, which would require a PAL Mega Drive, PAL 32X AND a compatible TV.

Ah, but I'm not talking about Darxide! It's Supreme Warrior he hasn't reviewed -- the only North American 32X release he's skipped. He did the Sega CD version, but not the 32X CD release.

Going out of region, yes, Darxide would be a nice bonus, but you'd have to use a flash cart or repro cart for that. With those things, and using a version of the ROM that removes the region lockout, it's playable on NTSC-U/60Hz hardware.

There's also FIFA '96 from the European library, and Surgical Strike 32X CD from the Brazilian library (which has been dumped and can be found).

Return to “Video Games General”