Favorite Batman Films

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Favorite Batman Films

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 11th, 2020, 7:16 pm

I've always enjoyed the Batman movies, and divide them into three categories:

- Gothic Batman. These were the first two film under TIm Burton. Kind of dark and surreal.
- Campy Batman. These were the colorful, flamboyant films of Joel Schumacher, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. I think these were my favorite, just because they're so fun to watch with all kinds of eye candy.
- Realistic Batman. These were the three more recent Christopher Nolan films, which were more serious in tone. They were also a little long and complicated for my taste.

So I was talking to my longtime friend who runs Batman Notes (and had a part in The Dark Knight!) who tells me he thinks the new Batman movies are going to be closer to the Christopher Nolan vision, although he wishes they would do a 180 and go back to the surreal themes.

What Batman films are your favorite and are you looking forward to the new one?

Tron

Re: Favorite Batman Films

Postby Tron » July 12th, 2020, 3:30 am

Nice bunching. I’d say the campy ones that you liked the best were my least favorite. The only thing I remember liking was Bat Girl cause she was so hot. I love Arnold and hate to bad mouth him, but Mr. Freeze was lame. The Riddler and Bane were lame too. Also the worst Batman’s in those movies.

I loved the original with Joker, but I think the sequel with Cat Woman and Penguin was my favorite. Best game too with that Super Nintendo.

I thought the 1st of the Realistic Batman’s was really boring. The second one wasn’t very good either. Heath Ledger was not very much fun as the Joker. I’m not even sure I’ve seen the third one.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 12th, 2020, 8:14 am

Great categorization, though you missed one other: The animated category

Mask of the Phantasm
Subzero
Killing Joke

As for the live action ones, my favorite is still the original Tim Burton movie. I do have a soft spot for Batman Forever, thanks to the energy of Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones, though I do admit Val Kilmer is stiff as a board, can't hold a candle to Keaton. As for the realistic versions, I didn't get into those as I felt they went over the top in the content category. Plus I felt Heath Ledger's makeup was actually awful and undeserving. But that's just me.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 12th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Outta left field - no love for Lego Batman? I enjoyed the hell outta that.

The Nolan trilogy is definitely my favourite of those mentioned - particularly The Dark Knight. I'm a big fan of how they tried to make everything as realistic as possible - or at least grounded and believable – even down to Bruce's reasoning/justification for creating the Batman identity. Although that said, I feel like they're more about Bruce Wayne than they are about Batman. There's a lot of time spent outside the costume and the villains get limited screen time too - which means even less time seeing them facing off and exploring their backstories and relationship to Batman. I guess it's a fine line to tread when trying to emphasise realism.

The other movies are a bit too far in the other direction for me. Burton movies are definitely the most iconic - that black and gold logo and the Batmobile designs alone are classic. I find the Schumacher films are difficult to enjoy even in a so-bad-it's-good way. Speaking of, surely the campy 60s Batman movie deserves a mention - which is so-bad-it's-downright-hilarious most of the time. I haven't seen anything post Nolan.

I still don't feel like we've seen the perfect Batman movie.

My favourite incarnation of Batman still remains The Animated Series. I feel like they balanced believability and typical exaggerated superhero stuff pretty well - and included so much of the Batman universe too. Every rogue in the gallery gets a look in. Forget the Nicholson vs Ledger debate - Mark Hammill wins hands down as Joker every time.

icepeople

Postby icepeople » July 12th, 2020, 4:35 pm

The first Burton movie. Without it Batman and a lot of other superheroes might still be stuck with the '60s camp stereotype that made Hollywood reluctant to touch them. Plus, Jack is "my number one guy." 8-)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 19th, 2020, 1:57 am

Critic, what do you think of the 60's series, and the three movies based on it? (One live action, and two animated.)

Or the 60's series, in general?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2020, 10:08 am

I was never really a big Batman fans until the Tim Burton movies, although I would sometimes watch the show as a kid.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 19th, 2020, 11:35 am

The 1966 movie is deliciously cheesy but I love it. I've been watching it since I was very young. We had it on two reels actually. We'd watch movies in the garage and that one was a personal favorite. I wish I could find the reels for that movie.

And yes, even in the late 70's, I thought the Shark looked like crap.

Return to “Other Media”