Best Site on the Internet?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best Site on the Internet?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2020, 10:49 am

I find myself going to less and less internet sites nowaday because they're all so toxic. The tech sites like Ars and Slashdot are full of know-it-alls who think people who don't think like them are idiots. The new sites are loaded with mean political comments. I feel like the internet is 99% garbage now.

But THIS SITE is one place where you can pretty much get away from all that. I like coming here. It's not the most popular site but I think it's great, and it's largely due to these forums.The people who post here are very considerate as well as knowledgeable. You can really learn a lot about gaming and get a lot of interesting perspectives. The people here are actually civil and it's refreshing.

I think it was a good idea to implement the no politics/religion policy many years ago. It prevents perfectly good threads from devolving into mud-slinging. Sometimes we toe the line, and that's okay, but it never gets ugly.

Gotta credit the moderators, many of whom have been here for a decade or more. While the current forums set-up doesn't require as much baby-sitting, I think the moderators have done of good job of setting the tone over the years. It's kind of like the "one broken window" rule.

Anyway just want to thank everybody for participating. And for all the lurkers out there, come on in - the water is warm! (not in a bad way)

Dave

PS: I rarely visit other gaming sites, oddly enough.

ASalvaro

Re: Best Site on the Internet?

Postby ASalvaro » July 18th, 2020, 1:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I find myself going to less and less internet sites nowaday because they're all so toxic. The tech sites like Ars and Slashdot are full of know-it-alls who think people who don't think like them are idiots. The new sites are loaded with mean political comments. I feel like the internet is 99% garbage now.

But THIS SITE is one place where you can pretty much get away from all that. I like coming here. It's not the most popular site but I think it's great, and it's largely due to these forums.The people who post here are very considerate as well as knowledgeable. You can really learn a lot about gaming and get a lot of interesting perspectives. The people here are actually civil and it's refreshing.

I think it was a good idea to implement the no politics/religion policy many years ago. It prevents perfectly good threads from devolving into mud-slinging. Sometimes we toe the line, and that's okay, but it never gets ugly.

Gotta credit the moderators, many of whom have been here for a decade or more. While the current forums set-up doesn't require as much baby-sitting, I think the moderators have done of good job of setting the tone over the years. It's kind of like the "one broken window" rule.

Anyway just want to thank everybody for participating. And for all the lurkers out there, come on in - the water is warm! (not in a bad way)

Dave

PS: I rarely visit other gaming sites, oddly enough.

this is the ONLY gaming site i go to..i love everything about it including the format of your website it's PERFECT

Voor

Postby Voor » July 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Remember when we had to practically beg you to allow our posts to be visible without approval? Lol.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 19th, 2020, 2:31 am

It may be a slightly biased review, but one I still agree with. In my younger PS1/Xbox days, I frequented a few gaming sites daily getting caught up on all the news and reviews. These days this is the only gaming site I visit. I am literally depending on all of you to keep me updated! ..And I try to flip through my monthly Game Informer mag to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

Voor wrote:Remember when we had to practically beg you to allow our posts to be visible without approval? Lol.

Boy, those were some dark times huh. Dave said 0% chance for many years, so I was definitely surprised when he had a change of heart, but it has worked out for the best. And good news.. since everyone here loves nostalgia, we are switching it back in 10 years!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 19th, 2020, 2:47 am

I love it here. I went looking for an independent game site as all the others were becoming too political. Reviews elsewhere were being far too skewed due to political issues unrelated to the game's content!
I also feel like this is a real community where my engagement has some real meaning. It's also inspired me to write my own reviews.
Plus Chris Alaimo from CGQ has mentioned his fondness for the site so that's pretty neat :D

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 19th, 2020, 7:28 am

I really like this site and honestly, it is one of the few I still check out on a regular basis. I like the no politics/religion mantra, it keeps the site focused on what is really important in life...video games! I mean that with all sincerity. With so much nonsense going on in the world and not a heck of a lot of critical thinking, I don't bother with much on the internet these days. It is refreshing to come here, read a few reviews, have a few chuckles and move on. I have said it before...I am not sure how you find the time or energy to keep this site going but I am glad that you do.

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » July 19th, 2020, 8:19 am

I know that I don't post here much (more of a lurker), but I have to agree. I admit that I'm involved with politics and political discussions on other sites, being the old man that I am. However, I take a break from them, as they do devolve into mud-slinging, keyboard warrior hate mongering, and irrational thought processes. When I feel that this starts to happen, I just look around my game room at my arcade machines and classic consoles, smile, and click that big red X on those sites, visit this site and others that haven't been polluted, put on some 80s music, and go play a game of Battlezone :D

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 19th, 2020, 11:49 am

This forums lack of major popularity is a great thing. I'm a part of a lot of gaming discords and forums. The toxicity popular sites breed is awful.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2020, 11:54 am

Robotrek wrote:This forums lack of major popularity is a great thing. I'm a part of a lot of gaming discords and forums. The toxicity popular sites breed is awful.

This is an interesting point! The underground status of the site kind of insulates us from those who have nothing better to do than stir up trouble. It's really not worth their while.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » July 19th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Being a long time forum member from back in the early days, the focus on gaming has always kept me coming back. Having had the pleasure to partner with Dave on various projects (site redesign / partnerships), I can let you know first hand that the visitor / member experience is always at the forefront of his decisions. He is always looking for ways to enhance not only the content but the overall experience for all while keeping it family friendly and free of the 'internet trash'.

I would also like to acknowledge the moderators, many of who have been loyal throughout the evolution of VGC. Yes - we all pined for allowing 'immediate approval' of member posts. Without their support, and Dave's trust in them, this would not have occurred. Another hats off needs to be given - to the VGC community. The class, respect and focus on gaming topics is what makes this a unique haven within the internet gaming highway. Thank you for making this a special place - we all play a big part in ensuring this will remain so.

Terry

Return to “Video Games General”