Got my Streets of Rage 4

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Got my Streets of Rage 4

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2020, 4:26 pm

It just arrived in the mail! Can't wait to dive in. I think the original Streets of Rage was the first video game my wife and I played together. So I should be able to test the coop.

I'm kind of surprised there's no mention of "Sega" anywhere on the packaging. Even if they didn't make it, I would assume the Streets of Rage trademark had to be licensed from Sega. Or did they let it go?

Retro STrife

Re: Got my Streets of Rage 4

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Yes, my understanding is that the developers just licensed it from Sega and Sega still owns it. I don't think Sega had any direct involvement in the game itself.

My copy also just came in a few days ago, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 17th, 2020, 10:49 am

It just goes to show you how clueless SEGA still is. To hand this off to an external developer and not even publishes it themselves shows how little they care about some of their most cherished properties. Don't get me wrong...I'm glad capable, passionate studios are getting their hands at these beloved franchises, but it's still a bummer that they can't figure out a way to properly update these games themselves. I'd love it if we were getting new versions of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Outrun, Panzer Dragoon, Phantasy Star and more.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 17th, 2020, 2:14 pm

What hardware are you playing it on?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm

I have been playing it for months. I have it on Xbox 1 and PC via games pass. The game is really big and plays like the game of old. Though the part we really want to play MP over the internet? Completely dead.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 19th, 2020, 1:41 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:It just goes to show you how clueless SEGA still is. To hand this off to an external developer and not even publishes it themselves shows how little they care about some of their most cherished properties. Don't get me wrong...I'm glad capable, passionate studios are getting their hands at these beloved franchises, but it's still a bummer that they can't figure out a way to properly update these games themselves. I'd love it if we were getting new versions of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Outrun, Panzer Dragoon, Phantasy Star and more.

In theory, I'm with you. But sadly these days I'd much rather it see a quality series like SOR taken out of Sega's hands. They have a habit these days of ruining their best IPs. I haven't played the game yet, but it sounds like these indie developers gave it the attention it deserved.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 19th, 2020, 9:03 am

Retro STrife wrote:
JustLikeHeaven wrote:It just goes to show you how clueless SEGA still is. To hand this off to an external developer and not even publishes it themselves shows how little they care about some of their most cherished properties. Don't get me wrong...I'm glad capable, passionate studios are getting their hands at these beloved franchises, but it's still a bummer that they can't figure out a way to properly update these games themselves. I'd love it if we were getting new versions of Shinobi, Golden Axe, Outrun, Panzer Dragoon, Phantasy Star and more.

In theory, I'm with you. But sadly these days I'd much rather it see a quality series like SOR taken out of Sega's hands. They have a habit these days of ruining their best IPs. I haven't played the game yet, but it sounds like these indie developers gave it the attention it deserved.

You will want to play it. It is simply FAB. I am predicting at least an A from the critic. Sure there are annoying parts to the game but it just plays so well. Now if only they update a few more of the side scrollers I will be happy. I can only wish but Alien on Genesis and Alien 3 in SNES. I esp loved Alien 3. I know it was not the critics fave but it was one of mine.

Return to “Video Games General”