Best Site on the Internet?

General and high profile video game topics.
icepeople

Re: Best Site on the Internet?

Postby icepeople » July 19th, 2020, 1:45 pm

As a regular reader since your early days the site is definitely the very rare example of something that's both survived and stayed virus-free, so to speak, for so many years. 8-)

I'll also give a hat tip to the Atari Age forums, which are huge, diverse and apparently far too geeky to get infected :P

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 19th, 2020, 8:03 pm

I like this site, I do not post very much but I do read a lot of posts and the reviews.

While I believe that free speech should, as far as possible, be applied to this site, including not locking down threads for nonreligious or nonpolitical arguments, I also believe that free speech be constrained here for politics and religion. I believe that a significant % of people do not have the maturity to accept other viewpoints revolving around these topics. It need not be this way but R&P turns some folks brains to mush - the senseless makes sense and emotions are a form of intellectual expression. Perhaps most of us could have an open discussion without getting triggered but we are only human and mudslinging is the first step to a fist fight.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » July 20th, 2020, 11:40 am

I love retro games having grown up in what I think of as the "Golden Age" of the 1970s. I visit this site on a frequent basis as a way to escape the stress of everyday life and spend some time in a place that is welcoming, informative, and fun. A heartfelt thank you to everyone involved from creators to moderators to readers!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I'm feeling the love!

For the record, I'm running a poll of Twitter, and 73% of people have verified that yes, this is the best video game site on the net. That's a little something called "scientific proof", people!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 20th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Wouldn't say this site completely avoids politics, but it's completely avoided harassment, personal attacks, and demonizing other posters.

It still feels like the late 90's/early 2000's internet in here, and I mean that in a good way.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 22nd, 2020, 4:33 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:It still feels like the late 90's/early 2000's internet in here, and I mean that in a good way.

Gonna echo this. The bad version would obviously be rainbow flashing text, spinning GIF icons, tiled backgrounds and MIDIs that you can't mute. ;)

I originally used this site as a reference for retro games/systems. It's the only site I found that wasn't just an abandoned 'Top 100 list' or a mainstream gaming site's predictable 'Top 25'. This feels like a proper archive with interesting opinions that don't recycle the same clichés to pad out reviews. I like the grading system, the icons, and allowing readers to vote on the game's score - there's a humility to that.

I never join forums anymore, and there's very few sites I visit these days, but this one has kept me coming back.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 22nd, 2020, 3:21 pm

Ever consider having a marketplace subforum, where members can buy, sell, trade?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 4:54 pm

Voor wrote:Ever consider having a marketplace subforum, where members can buy, sell, trade?

I think I tried something like that in the early 2000s but there wasn't much interest.

Also, I'd be a little concerned that a scammer might rip people off and I don't want to be involved with anything like that.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 23rd, 2020, 1:52 pm

I came across this site while looking for a review of the SNES bowling game, Brunswick World: Tournament of Champions. I visit the site just about every day. I love that the community is on the smaller side and more knowledgeable. I can't imagine if this site was like gamefaqs or another site filled with teenagers who just want to argue for no apparent reason.

I like seeing the new reviews. Even if they aren't for games I am interested in, they are still fun to read because they have a conversational tone, and get to the point quickly. If I'm looking for a review for an older game, chances are, I'll look here first.

Return to “Video Games General”