Star Wars Prequels

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Star Wars Prequels

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2020, 9:16 am

So I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and especially after the last two Star Wars films, this is looking better and better. Jake Lloyd is a little young for the role, and Jar Jar's annoying at times, but otherwise this movie is great.

One thing that occurred to me is that since "forward thinking" George Lucas filmed these in digital (1080p I assume) how are they going to be make into 4K? I mean, I guess there are techniques but I doubt these will ever look at good as the original trilogy, ironically enough.

Teddybear

Re: Star Wars Prequels

Postby Teddybear » July 20th, 2020, 11:06 am

Can you watch The Godfather Part III with the same glasses that you had on last night and convince me that it too was a great movie? :lol:

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 20th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Here's the review of the 4k transfer.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/82130/starwarsepisodeithephantommenace4kultrahdbluray.html

It sounds like it's slightly better than the Blu-ray release. They had to re-do some of the digital models including replacing puppet Yoda with a digital copy...interesting...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Oh it looks like The Phantom Menace was mostly shot on 35mm film, so not a big issue with that. So it would probably be a bigger issue with Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 20th, 2020, 5:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and especially after the last two Star Wars films, this is looking better and better. Jake Lloyd is a little young for the role, and Jar Jar's annoying at times, but otherwise this movie is great.

One thing that occurred to me is that since "forward thinking" George Lucas filmed these in digital (1080p I assume) how are they going to be make into 4K? I mean, I guess there are techniques but I doubt these will ever look at good as the original trilogy, ironically enough.

"otherwise the movie is great"...not sure I can agree with you on that one critic. I watched this again for the first time in years a few weeks ago and I could not stomach the terrible acting, bad CGI, dumb plot and the "epic" final battle between robots and frogs. Otherwise it was fantastic.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 20th, 2020, 7:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: otherwise this movie is great.

Less a movie, and more a collection of action scenes to accompany the best soundtrack in the series.

Otherwise, I've got to nod my head and pretend the Jedi were too stupid and amoral to figure out that leaving Anakin's mom to rot away in slavery might cause darkside issues.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:"otherwise the movie is great"...not sure I can agree with you on that one critic. I watched this again for the first time in years a few weeks ago and I could not stomach the terrible acting, bad CGI, dumb plot and the "epic" final battle between robots and frogs. Otherwise it was fantastic.

This is hilarious! Especially the robots and frogs comment. I never thought of it that way. LOL

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 21st, 2020, 1:16 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and especially after the last two Star Wars films, this is looking better and better. Jake Lloyd is a little young for the role, and Jar Jar's annoying at times, but otherwise this movie is great.

Darth Maul was an excellent and menacing character and Qui Gon was a good jedi. Both getting bumped off made me sad.

When you roll Attack of the Clones be sure to fast forward the romance scenes. You will be thankful you did.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » July 21st, 2020, 9:21 am

As someone who always had a soft spot for the prequels (especially Phantom Menace), I'm glad to finally see a little more affection for these films. And to be honest, I don't think the newer films are that bad either. Granted they're certainly not masterpieces, but at least they're not the animated Clone Wars movie from 2008. That one was the worst IMO, and I'm amazed that people don't seem to remember how bad it was.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2020, 10:11 am

DrLitch wrote:Darth Maul was an excellent and menacing character and Qui Gon was a good jedi. Both getting bumped off made me sad.

When you roll Attack of the Clones be sure to fast forward the romance scenes. You will be thankful you did.

It cracks me up how Padme keeps playing hard-to-get while wearing progressively more skimpy outfits. In a night scene she's basically dressed like a dominatrix! I was looking for the whip! What's a Jedi to do?!

Return to “Other Media”