Star Wars Prequels

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DrLitch

Re: Star Wars Prequels

Postby DrLitch » July 21st, 2020, 1:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What's a Jedi to do?!

Poor chap did not stand a chance of adhering to the Jedi celibacy rule.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2020, 1:49 pm

DrLitch wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:What's a Jedi to do?!

Poor chap did not stand a chance of adhering to the Jedi celibacy rule.

In the words of Captain Barbosa "they're more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 21st, 2020, 5:28 pm

Give the sequels 20 years, I guaranteed people will look at them much differently.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 22nd, 2020, 3:05 am

bluenote wrote:Give the sequels 20 years, I guaranteed people will look at them much differently.

It's been 21 years and I hate them more now then ever. I respectfully disagree, they will continue to age poorly.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 22nd, 2020, 4:02 am

Last Christmas I finally managed to convince my wife to give Star Wars a try, we watched them in release order, but haven't got to sequels yet. My wife was surprised just how much she loved them all, and I was too - I didn't expect her to like the franchise as much as she does.

What I found interesting, was that she actually really enjoyed Episode I and even liked Jar Jar. It was my first time watching it since its original release and, I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as its reputation (and my faint memory of it) made it out to be. I mainly found it slow, boring and too long. It felt like a prologue.

It was my first time watching II & III and I actually kinda liked them, although they are flawed. There was a decent foundation - it just needed someone better skilled at writing dialogue and characterisation. I loved seeing Anakin's turn to the dark side, and even empathised with him, but it could have been handled a lot better.

I understand their bad reputation, especially when compared to the original trilogy, but I think fan expectations from the time blew it out of proportion. Newcomers to the franchise will definitely see them a slightly different light.

The saddest thing about the prequels is how it affected Jake Lloyd...

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 22nd, 2020, 6:02 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:Last Christmas I finally managed to convince my wife to give Star Wars a try, we watched them in release order, but haven't got to sequels yet. My wife was surprised just how much she loved them all, and I was too - I didn't expect her to like the franchise as much as she does.

What I found interesting, was that she actually really enjoyed Episode I and even liked Jar Jar. It was my first time watching it since its original release and, I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as its reputation (and my faint memory of it) made it out to be. I mainly found it slow, boring and too long. It felt like a prologue.

It was my first time watching II & III and I actually kinda liked them, although they are flawed. There was a decent foundation - it just needed someone better skilled at writing dialogue and characterisation. I loved seeing Anakin's turn to the dark side, and even empathised with him, but it could have been handled a lot better.

I understand their bad reputation, especially when compared to the original trilogy, but I think fan expectations from the time blew it out of proportion. Newcomers to the franchise will definitely see them a slightly different light.

The saddest thing about the prequels is how it affected Jake Lloyd...

Well I think that is the beauty of things like art, music and movies...it is very subjective. I am glad you enjoyed the prequels. I thought Episode 3 was watchable but very predictable. Overall, the one thing that bothered me the most about the prequels, besides the plot, was the heavy reliance on CGI. The practical effects of the original trilogy looked so much better by comparison and unfortunately CGI was not ready for prime time in 1999. I remember watching those movies and being in shock of how bad everything looked. That being said, I do think the prequels are better then the last trilogy but that is not saying too much.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 22nd, 2020, 6:35 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Overall, the one thing that bothered me the most about the prequels, besides the plot, was the heavy reliance on CGI. The practical effects of the original trilogy looked so much better by comparison and unfortunately CGI was not ready for prime time in 1999.

I much prefer practical effects too. My biggest problem with the CGI is that, even though it looks fake, it makes everything look more advanced and detailed. That’s really jarring when you’re watching something that’s meant to be older in the timeline but it looks way too obviously newer and shinier.

That’s probably not the CGI itself but the extra possibilities it allowed made Lucas show off more of the technology within the world.

I try to ignore it by imagining that society and technology took a drastic step backwards after the Empire took over.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 22nd, 2020, 11:16 am

Well the Prequels were bound by the OT and that increases the level of determinism you get. The sequels were free to go to unexplored frontiers, explore original concepts. Sequels failed on the novelty front and it is difficult to find much of substance. Prequels had less wiggle room.

I also think we forget how difficult it is to obtain consistency in long running series. Not many examples in Hollywood.

VideoGameCritic wrote:In the words of Captain Barbosa "they're more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

Aint that the truth, I also think I am due a revisit of Pirates.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 26th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Episode II Attack of The Clones might be the worst Star Wars movie ever, awful soulless movie, Han Solo at least you can ignore while Episode II is on the Star Wars main timeline.

Phantom Menace still a solid good movie with interesting characters like Qui Gon and Darth Maul and exciting scenes like the pod racing and the Obi Wan/Qui Gon fight against Darth Maul.

Episode III was may be the best the prequels.

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » August 23rd, 2020, 7:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I watched The Phantom Menace last night, and especially after the last two Star Wars films, this is looking better and better. Jake Lloyd is a little young for the role, and Jar Jar's annoying at times, but otherwise this movie is great.

One thing that occurred to me is that since "forward thinking" George Lucas filmed these in digital (1080p I assume) how are they going to be make into 4K? I mean, I guess there are techniques but I doubt these will ever look at good as the original trilogy, ironically enough.

My own thoughts on it were totally changed a few years ago when the "Darth Darth Binks" "theory" came out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comme ... =post_body
...it made me rewatch the film and look very closely at what is going on. Even the actor all but confirmed it. Jar Jar was meant to be the Phantom Menace!

Return to “Other Media”