Atari Max Flash carts

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari Max Flash carts

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2020, 1:07 pm

So there are some hard-to-find Atari computer 8-bit games I'd like to review, like Pinhead for example. It looks like this page has what I want, but it's really hard to understand.

https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

What is the whole Studio option thing? I really don't want to mess around with installing software if I don't have to. Would a flash cart in of itself suffice? Are the roms easy to find?

If anyone has any experience with this stuff please educate me.

snakeboy

Re: Atari Max Flash carts

Postby snakeboy » July 21st, 2020, 8:03 pm

I'm so glad to hear that you're having a hard time figuring this out, not because I'm a sick and twisted individual that gets pleasure from seeing others having problems, but because I've checked these out before, and for the life of me can't understand how the hell they work. I just thought I was dumb!

From what I can tell, it looks like you do have to install some sort of software to the cart. I wonder if they would do it for you if you asked?

And finding roms shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to find them on one of the sites on your links page:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgemainsoft.a ... G&system=8

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 22nd, 2020, 8:59 am

I purchased two cartridges from Atari Max. One is the actual USB programmer which comes with software, pretty easy to use. The other is the cartridge which will store the games, I got an eight meg cart. It might take you a couple tries if you go this route to learn how to create a workbook file for your cart. The USB programmer cart plugs into your computer via USB cable. The eight megabit cart plugs into the programmer cart. Once programmed, I pull out the 8 megabit cart and insert it into my XEGS console.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 9:50 am

Wow now I'm really confused. If I just get the cheap cart (non-programmer) how does that connect to my computer? Can I just copy roms onto it?

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » July 22nd, 2020, 12:47 pm

Cafeman is spot on. I bought this system too. I've filled 3 carts full of games so far. It's not super difficult to figure out. In a nutshell.....

you install the atarimax software to your computer
download roms
build a playlist of roms to convert to a cartridge from the software you installed
"burn" the playlist onto a purchased 8mbit programmable carts via USB cord (from computer to cart)

You can also erase carts and reformat them and reprogram them

If you’re familiar with Atari emulators, you’ll have no problem converting your ROMS to a cart with this fast & easy program. If you’re a noob to emulators and searching for sites that feature 8 bit ATARI ROMS that the Atarimax system works well with, you might struggle a little to get going as I did, but that was just temporary. Once you download a credible emulator and set that up correctly, download your ROMS, THEN the Atarimax system is fantastic. If you already have all of that and know all about it, it's a sound purchase.

I wrote a very extensive review of it and how the process works at the link below. Trust me, if I can do this, you can do this

https://www.oaklandcountymoms.com/atarimax-maxflash-usb-cartridge-programmer-review-79806/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 1:14 pm

So you need the programmer kit AND a flash cart too?

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » July 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Yes. Fundamentally, the software handles everything the same way iTunes is the software that lets you create playlists and burn cds.

$59.99 for Cartridge Programmer & Software PLUS I bought a 5-pack of 8mbit carts for $99.95. 1 cart holds 30+ games

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 22nd, 2020, 4:34 pm

Don't mean to open another can of worms here, but has anybody tried the MyIDE-II Compact Flash Cartridge?

https://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

Does this essentially do the same thing as the Atari Max flash carts, but with all the programming done on a compact flash card rather than through a usb programmer kit? Also, it looks like you can buy a pre-configured compact flash card for $20 extra. Does this mean everything is set up for you, and all you have to do is add the games to the card?

I can't make heads or tails of how any of this works based on any of the technical info in the description. Someone needs to re-write everything on the Atari Max website using language that dummies like me can understand.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm

I have a masters in Comp Sci and I can't make heads or tails out of that page.

Isn't there something like a Harmony cart for the Atari XE where you can just copy ROMs to it without having to install software?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have a masters in Comp Sci and I can't make heads or tails out of that page.

LOL.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Isn't there something like a Harmony cart for the Atari XE where you can just copy ROMs to it without having to install software?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that simple to use. Or if there is, I don't know about it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”