Jazz

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
CharlieR

Re: Jazz

Postby CharlieR » July 23rd, 2020, 1:38 pm

Jazz can be fun to listen to every once in a while. I hear Charlie Parker is great, too.

icepeople

Postby icepeople » July 23rd, 2020, 3:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well I got Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Bill Evans) and it's a winner so thanks to all who recommended it!

What strikes me is how it was recorded live in June 1961 in New York, yet it sounds like they are playing about 10 feet in front of me right now.

And now for the next step into your new world: John Coltrane, of course :D

I recommend "Blue Train" or "Giant Steps" for your first album since "A Love Supreme" doesn't click for everyone. Also, just remember it's a whole new speed...I can do Miles and Evans when my brain is at a pre-caffinated 75 percent, but one of my yardsticks for knowing if I'm "on" any given day is if I can keep up with the likes of JC.

Speaking of those initials, check out this link/video of the Coltrane Church. I was there for a service many years ago and it was beyond surreal, in a good way. 8-)

https://aeon.co/videos/the-ecstasy-of-j ... ve-supreme

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 23rd, 2020, 6:01 pm

I see there's a Coltrane reissue coming out in September. I'll probably get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Steps-60th ... sic&sr=1-7

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 23rd, 2020, 8:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I see there's a Coltrane reissue coming out in September. I'll probably get this one.

That does look nice, and it's a plus that they put the alternate takes on a separate disc. On the Giant Steps CD, the alternate takes are nice to have, but kind of bog down the experience of the album itself.

Glad you liked the Bill Evans! If you enjoy that flavor of jazz, his records are pretty consistent -- much more so than, say, Miles Davis, whose style varied so wildly.

icepeople

Postby icepeople » July 24th, 2020, 8:03 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I see there's a Coltrane reissue coming out in September. I'll probably get this one.

Yeah, definitely a good pick for that album. Especially with vinyl living up to its full promise with better mastering, gear (sometimes…nothing yet matches some $5 speakers from the Salvation Army I got in college decades ago), etc.

…and since others are making good recommendations I'm doing my best not to flood the board with endless lists based on my daily whims ;) (Right now I'm listening to a live Brubeck album just to argue against those who say his stuff is kinda boring if you're not already a fan. Also some Chick Corea Akoustic Band, Hiromi, Uri Caine, Danilo Pérez and other pianists/trios, just since you had me listening to old B. Evans stuff.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2020, 10:05 am

Anybody listen to Charles Tolliver? He's kind of an old-school trumpet player with a new record called Connect.

icepeople

Postby icepeople » August 3rd, 2020, 4:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody listen to Charles Tolliver? He's kind of an old-school trumpet player with a new record called Connect.

If it's on your radar go for it for sure...if the price is OK for a four-song album. Guy's got a great hard tone and hard bop style. Like Sonny Rollins keeps releasing highly expressive and intelligent stuff that keeps up with (and features on some tracks) what some of the better younger legit jazz players are doing even though most people his age get short of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Been a while since he's done a studio album, which I've said aren't my favorite, but the pieces all allow plenty of time to stretch out individually and together. (I listened to it via Bandcamp so I can't exactly complain about the price or short overall length.)

Of course, it doesn't pack the wallop of the all-time classics or even lots of stuff that wows me every year. But like I said, if it grabbed your attention then that's all that really matters. 8-)

BTW, this is what rang my "wow" radar over the weekend (won a jazz Grammy in 2019 and somehow I missed it). Google and read a review or two before sampling if you like (and there's little by him that doesn't amaze).

Brad Mehldau, Finding Gabriel

https://open.spotify.com/album/7wOosKPp ... qEc4GJl_Vo

Retrology

Postby Retrology » August 9th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Has anyone listened to The Comet Is Coming? They’re a contemporary group but they have a “cosmic jazz” style that’s unlike anything I’ve ever heard. Check out “Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery,” a personal favorite of mine released last year!

Voor

Postby Voor » August 10th, 2020, 6:48 am

I saw Comet is Coming in the NPR Tiny Desk. Fantastic, kind of exhausting, lol.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2021, 4:06 pm

Two LPS I picked up recently:
Miles Davis ESP
Bill Evan Portrait of an Artist

To learn more about this stuff I bought a used book off ebay:
The Penguin Guide To Jazz Vol 4

Man, this thing is HUGE. 1745 pages!! It's like a cinder block. Has short reviews on just about every Jazz album ever made, ordered by artist. I think this is more a reference than anything else.

Return to “Other Media”