"Hello Andy and Ike - I have your game!"

General and high profile video game topics.
TheEagleXIII

"Hello Andy and Ike - I have your game!"

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 24th, 2020, 4:24 am

Yeah I suck a topic titles, but inspired by this quote from the Critic's latest Wave Race review - has anyone ever found anything interesting or weird left behind by a previous owner on a game, memory card or console? Or even the manuals - most older games always had a space for 'Notes'.

Can't say I ever really realised I had until recently. I've been playing an emulated version of NHL 97 on Mega Drive and noticed that the rosters were different than I remembered. I remember Roenick especially being on the Coyotes, but he's still a Blackhawk on the ROM.

The copy of the game I had as a kid was pre-owned, so the previous owner must have manually updated all the roster changes for the season.

Seems pretty standard but this is pre automatic roster updates, before internet, and in the UK in 1996/7 where the NHL was incredibly difficult, if not near impossible, to follow. Just thought it seemed neat I inherited some dude's dedication keeping the game up to date without ever realising it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: "Hello Andy and Ike - I have your game!"

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2020, 8:02 am

Many years ago I had picked up a Genesis basketball game and it had a bunch of user records already saved. It may have been custom players because there was a list of names and they were hilarious. I'm pretty sure most were too raunchy to post, but I remember "MY BIG BROWN BALLS" being one. You could tell some guy and his buddies had a blast with this.

I never really liked writing in manuals but a friend of mine pointed out that "this is the best part! It's some one's childhood here!" He has a point.

I do find it odd how all those old games left a page or two for "notes". I guess they just need to fill out some extra pages.

Retro STrife

Re: "Hello Andy and Ike - I have your game!"

Postby Retro STrife » July 24th, 2020, 10:57 am

I liked that line in the review too. The history of an individual game is always an interesting thing, whether it's your own history with it or an inherited history. Sadly Andy won't ever read that review, because he died on the Oregon Trail:

Alright maybe it's a different andy, but either way, this screenshot is what immediately came to mind when I saw your question, EagleXIII. I came across this tombstone when playing my copied-disk version of Oregon Trial on the Apple II and now it's always one of my favorite memories of the game. The screenshot is a bit well-known to Oregon Trail fans, because it has a kinda funny backstory:

In Oregon Trail, when you died the game would sometimes give you the option to create a tombstone. It'd ask what you want to say on your tombstone, and then it would list your name and message. Then it would save the tombstone to the disk, and the next time you played you would have the option to stop and visit the tombstone when you pass by it.

Back then piracy was the main way you got computer games -- you'd copy someone else's disk. Well little Andy's copied version spread far and wide, and even today it is one of the most common bootleg copies of the game, including the one I made for my Apple II. His tombstone was permanently (and probably inadvertently) saved as part of all the copied versions. So I travel along the trail, eventually come to Andy's tombstone and get this cool little message, which is seemingly nonsensical. I had to google it to figure it out. Turns out that, on top of being a terrible speller, Andy also had a pretty good sense of humor.... Andy's "peperony and chease" on his tombstone is a reference to the classic Tombstone Pizza commercial, where a cowboy is about to be killed and they ask "what do you want on your tombstone?" and he thinks about it and replies "pepperoni and cheese!". Now Andy's pizza joke lives on forever...

Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKspf06XuaQ

Return to “Video Games General”