2020/7/26: Super Nintendo: The Rocketeer, The Flintstones

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/7/26: Super Nintendo: The Rocketeer, The Flintstones

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2020, 9:18 am

I hope you guys enjoy my latest SNES reviews. Let's get some feedback!!

VicViper

Re: 2020/7/26: Super Nintendo: The Rocketeer, The Flintstones

Postby VicViper » July 26th, 2020, 10:22 am

I was about to say that you were too harsh on The Rocketeer, and then I realised you weren't talking about the NES version.

So I watched a random longplay video on Youtube of the SNES version (that's 25 mins long)...

Ooooh nooooooooo...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2020, 10:56 am

Flintstones was one of the few SNES games I owned growing up, so I played it a bunch.. although I only vaguely remember the gameplay. Honestly, the only thing I remembered was rolling a bowling ball at enemies. I guess that's never a good sign...

But your review inspired me to watch a youtube playthrough and it brought back some memories. It took me forever to beat some of these levels, but I always stuck with it. Never could beat the game though. I think the graphics are pretty nice to look at, and always found the sound effects satisfying. That level where you bounce the kids on top of your car drove me insane, but was still a highlight of the game. Looks like there's some interesting parts later in the game where you surf on lava, but I never made it that far myself. And your review reminded me about the humorous password system, which more games should have adopted.

Is Flintstones a new one or an update? I thought I vaguely remember reading a review before, but maybe I'm imagining things.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 26th, 2020, 11:14 am

"Unfortunately the game is based on The Rocketeer - a Disney film nobody saw because it looked too boring".

You should give The Rocketeer a watch if you haven't already. Disney later got director Joe Johnston to make Captain America: The First Avenger and it has the same old-fashioned Americana feel, except The Rocketeer is a better film. Timothy Dalton is a charismatic villain and Jennifer Connelly was never more beautiful than she is here. There's an awesome animated propaganda film where Nazis wearing jetpacks conquer the world. I should also note that The Rocketeer is based on a comic by Dave Stephens that began in 1982. I haven't read it yet but the artwork I've seen online is stunning.

VIcViper brought up the NES game and, while I haven't played it in almost 30 years, it seems like it would be more your style - it's somewhat similar to the NES Batman game although it looks a bit clunky in comparison.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 26th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Good reviews and good reads. I saw The Rocketeer in the theater on a date back in the day (1991), where movies were a nickel and you could buy a bag of popcorn for a penny (a model-T, 12 bucks). Not a bad film, just didn’t do well at the box office.

Also, in the Flintstones review, a typo in the second to last sentence “...but it I think...” should be “...but I think...”

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 26th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Ohhhhh, the Rocketeer. I saw the James and Mike Mondays episode where they played this one. Needless to say they didn't care for it much either.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 26th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Several sources I trust have been very, very negative toward The Rocketeer, so -- much as I like to see the good in maligned games -- I'm guessing this one's a genuine turkey.

The movie, OTOH, I did see and remember enjoying.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 26th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Critic! I have no idea what you're talking about. The movie the Rocketeer is awesome. We saw it in the theatres when I was a kid. It's a great movie. You can even watch it on Disney+.

I remember the reviews in EGM giving it 7s or so with the graphics looking great but the gameplay being a bit abysmal. It's rare for a mediocre game to get an F-. Either way the movie rocks. It's a fun, popcorn movie that would be great on a summer night. Plus, what else have you got to do with all your time these days? :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Looks like I need to see the film and try the NES version next!

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 26th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Cool graphics on The Flintstones, only if the jump mechanics were better it would have been a great game.

There is another Flintstones game on SNES, Treasure of Sierra Madrock, which played like a Joe & Mac game.

Return to “Review Feedback”