Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2020, 10:26 am

Will everything going on in the world, it's easy to forget two new consoles are set for launch this upcoming holiday season: the Playstation 5 and the Xbox Series X (I think that's the name).

My question to you is, are you psyched up about either one of these? If so, why? Are you planning on picking on one as soon as they launch? Or do you plan to hold off until next year?

I'll chime in a little later.

Retro STrife

Re: Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2020, 11:09 am

Not really - not unless a must play game comes out that makes me feel like I have to. The last system I bought at launch was the original Xbox. Most systems I buy middle or late into the generation. I don't suspect I'll be jumping at these new ones either. I haven't read much about either of them, but my guess is that I'd lean toward a PS5 first. After Microsoft won me over in the Xbox and Xbox 360 generations, Sony has done a lot to regain its footing this generation and I've started preferring the Playstation brand. I haven't even bought an Xbox One yet.

And what's with the Series X name? It makes it sound like a different model of the current console, rather than a next-gen console. That said, I hope Microsoft just uses it as a launch pad to a new numbering system for their future consoles... i.e., Xbox X2, X3, X4, etc. At least then they can just keep it simple, because naming consoles has not been Microsoft's strong suit.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 26th, 2020, 1:10 pm

I usually feel fairly neutral towards console launches. PS5 and Xbox Series X will likely have availability issues for a few months which suits me fine. Nothing in the release lineup scream must play right now. I can wait. As for consoles, I do not get excited like I was when I was a kid. For the past three generations we are dealing with graphical improvements but no major upgrades to gameplay. The games will be like Xbox One or PS4 titles but with higher pixel counts and smoother frame rates.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » July 26th, 2020, 8:32 pm

All that's really gonna sell me is if the ps5 has backwards compatibility with *ALL* their previous gen games, no online streaming/digital only catch. Emulation a la Xbone, I'm ok with. Other than that, I'm most likely gonna skip out on Series X and ps5 and maybe check out the Amico later on. Everything is basically on PC that it's like "what's the point of consoles to play games when I already have the system to play it on and could simply buy the specific controller for whatever gimmick they throw at me?" (I'm still astounded by both the ds4's motion controls and the xbone's controller sensitive triggers working on pc of all things. I'm a sucker for discovering quirks in controllers. Lol) Consoles at this point to me are just glorified cable/streaming boxes.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 26th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Not at all. They don’t offer anything innovative, which is usually the fun part (to see if it works or not).

What are the prices?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Voor wrote:What are the prices?

I don't think either one has gotten an official price yet, but leaks and speculation are pinning the price at around $500 for the main version of each console. There will also be digital-only versions of the consoles, and those might start closer to $400.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 27th, 2020, 12:54 am

I don't really get excited for new systems as much as games (with the Switch being a rare exception) - once a system has enough unique games to interest me I'll start looking for an opportunity to pick one up. I didn't buy a PS4 until March of last year and I didn't get a Switch until a few weeks before last Christmas - I still haven't picked up the new XBox and I'm just going to wait until I can get a very cheap used one so I can play Rare Replay and maybe one or two other games. I don't see me picking up a PS5 until at least 2023 - I'm already buried in an endless backlog as it is.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 27th, 2020, 2:28 am

I come from quite a different perspective than most here (I think).
At the start of last gen I bought a decent PC. I would love to continue with PC as my main platform for gaming as it offers more options such as choosing FPS (60 rather than 30 for AAA games and more), graphical effects etc. The troubles that one had back in the 90's and 2000's of installing the right drivers to play a game or titles crashing is truly a thing of the past. It's just like playing a game on console but with more options at your fingertips.
However, my pc is limited with regards to upgrade options and from what I can tell, the Xbox series X will be very powerful, comparable to an Nvidia 2080 (upwards of £600) or there abouts. It will be far cheaper to get a Series X than it will be to upgrade my pc. I will still have access to my backlog on PC but will now be able to play some of my favourite Xbox 360 games that I still have. Whilst the Series X might lack Sony's exclusives, its Bang for its Buck could be the winning factor. I have a feeling that the Series X's price point will be £500. Whilst that is expensive I think it'd be worth it. Who knows they may even come in at less than that due to Covid-economy.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 27th, 2020, 5:15 am

I'm sure I'll be a little disappointed to miss out on a couple games, but I survived missing out on some current gen titles, so nothing's convincing me it's worth returning to the modern gaming world yet.

Even if I did I'd probably end up with a small library of games that wouldn't justify the price of the console.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 27th, 2020, 5:22 am

I am not really that fired up about either. I will probably wait a year or two until I pick up a PS5. However, I will not bother with the Xbox console. I waited forever until I picked up the xbox one and I wish I never had. After Gears 4 came out I figured it was time and that game was a huge disappointment for me but that is another story. Now the white brick just sits, I haven't played the thing in a year or so.

Return to “Video Games General”