Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Postby ActRaiser » July 27th, 2020, 8:01 am

newmodelarmy wrote:I am not really that fired up about either. I will probably wait a year or two until I pick up a PS5. However, I will not bother with the Xbox console. I waited forever until I picked up the xbox one and I wish I never had. After Gears 4 came out I figured it was time and that game was a huge disappointment for me but that is another story. Now the white brick just sits, I haven't played the thing in a year or so.

We need to go through a Gears campaign again!

My Xboxes get used for streaming Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and as the family DVD player.

I'm going to wait a bit on the Series X and PS5. I haven't played much from the current generation in the last few years. The Turbo Mini has been awesome. I've been trying to wait a bit before getting my daughter into gaming. I think this December she'll be old enough which is about the time my arcade cabinet arrives. After that I'm hoping she'll play lots of arcade games with me.

The Series X and PS5 I'll revisit in a few years after a few of their better games have launched.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 27th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Meh.

I'm content with the Switch and Evercade right now, might pick up a 2DS XL to get some 3DS games as they go liquidation at retailers.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 27th, 2020, 1:01 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:I am not really that fired up about either. I will probably wait a year or two until I pick up a PS5. However, I will not bother with the Xbox console. I waited forever until I picked up the xbox one and I wish I never had. After Gears 4 came out I figured it was time and that game was a huge disappointment for me but that is another story. Now the white brick just sits, I haven't played the thing in a year or so.

My Xboxes get used for streaming Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and as the family DVD player.

I'm going to wait a bit on the Series X and PS5. I haven't played much from the current generation in the last few years. The Turbo Mini has been awesome. I've been trying to wait a bit before getting my daughter into gaming. I think this December she'll be old enough which is about the time my arcade cabinet arrives. After that I'm hoping she'll play lots of arcade games with me.

The Series X and PS5 I'll revisit in a few years after a few of their better games have launched.

Xbox used for a Media player? That's what my PS3 was being used as in it's final years...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Xbox used for a Media player? That's what my PS3 was being used as in it's final years...

Nice! Yep, the living room Xbox One S does double duty as the media player and Blu-ray/DVD player. It's hooked up to a nearly 10 year old 50" Panasonic plasma that looks great. Our Switch is docked to it as well.

Our recently finished basement has a new Sony 4K TV with an Xbox One X for 4K gaming and movie watching. A PS4, classic NES, SNES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx 16 are all downstairs and are easily swappable. The rest of my consoles are in the storage pod. I'm pretty sure I'll start unloading them on eBay at this point whenever I get them out of storage. I still can't fathom how a Gamecube component cable is going for nearly $300 on eBay.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 27th, 2020, 5:26 pm

ActRaiser wrote:

Hell ya! We had some good times! Gears Co-Op was a blast. My daughter is 11 and we play some switch games together, mainly Mario Kart. She is really into Minecraft and is enjoying Animal Crossing. Two games I cannot get into but enjoy watching her play from time to time.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 27th, 2020, 10:51 pm

I don't know that I'll buy another console new. I have been playing NHL 19 on the PS4 lately, but otherwise it gets used as a blu-ray player and streaming device about 50x more than gaming. I play my PS3, N64 and Genesis each individually way more than my PS4 and Switch combined.

I'm probably lying through my teeth and I'll buy a PS5 someday. But it's certainly not on my priority list. I'd rather get a TurboDuo and, more likely, finish up a few more system game collections than get a new generation console.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 28th, 2020, 6:15 am

Breaker wrote:I don't know that I'll buy another console new. I have been playing NHL 19 on the PS4 lately, but otherwise it gets used as a blu-ray player and streaming device about 50x more than gaming. I play my PS3, N64 and Genesis each individually way more than my PS4 and Switch combined.

I'm probably lying through my teeth and I'll buy a PS5 someday. But it's certainly not on my priority list. I'd rather get a TurboDuo and, more likely, finish up a few more system game collections than get a new generation console.

Hey Breaker how do you like NHL 19? I bought that game last year when it was on sale but haven't touched it. Meanwhile I played an entire season of NHL 98 on my modded Genesis Mini...now that is a sports game!

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 28th, 2020, 8:01 am

It's been fun. The gameplay is good. The TV style presentation is sharp, and the announcers are enjoyable, though they should have recorded another 20 comments. After about 10 games I think I've heard them all. The players reflect (both graphically and skills-wise) their real-life counterparts. I haven't gotten too deep into the Franchise mode... I'm playing one, but haven't invested time into the scouting, AHL team, or financial aspects of the game.

I've played many, many seasons on NHL 95-98 on Genesis. Such great games. If I were 15 or 16 again, I could see NHL 19 being that game that I invest that much time into.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 28th, 2020, 10:06 am

Voor wrote:What are the prices?

Looking at the hardware:

8core/16thread CPU
GPU with ~ 12tflops (although this is a poor measure for the graphical capability of a GPU)
1TB NVMe storage

A comparable CPU for a PC would be a Ryzen 7 3700X which is around $280 now.
A comparable GPU is the 2080TI going by TFlops which costs $1200 or more.
1TB NVMe storage is around $100.

Not including Blu Ray, controllers, and everything else, $1600ish worth of hardware.

If the new consoles retail at $400 I would be astonished.

While PC's and Consoles are apples to oranges there is no question the hardware on the new consoles is rather beefy. They are definitely going to make a massive loss, even accounting for bulk/mass production pricing. If the consoles come in at $500 I would be wondering if game prices are due a hike.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 28th, 2020, 12:30 pm

I think game prices are due a hike regardless. I'm shocked new games still run at $50-$60... I remember buying Genesis games in 1995 that were $60. Inflation alone says that should be $101. I think NES games probably ran in that price range 10 years earlier... that's $143 now.

Return to “Video Games General”