Steel Diver (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Steel Diver (3DS)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 26th, 2020, 11:28 am

I feel the need to give this game another look. It has a really cool summer vibe with the pings and bubble effects that make you feel submerged.

As a launch game for the 3DS ten years ago it was kind of hard to judge. After all, we were all expecting some fantastic 3D titles to blow out minds, and we got this slow, 2D style game instead.

But after all this time I should be able to judge it more objectively. Thoughts?

scotland

Re: Steel Diver (3DS)

Postby scotland » July 26th, 2020, 5:15 pm

How complete of a game is it? I have a copy, but I think I got it very inexpensively as if it were basically a demo.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Yeah I think I also grabbed this one years back at a bargain bin price (under $5 new), but I've never bothered to play it. Of course, the concept always reminded me of "In the Hunt" from the PS1 & Saturn.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 27th, 2020, 9:58 pm

This is a complete game and I like it. It's got a great underwater vibe, and I like the unique multi-tasking style touch controls.

There's just one thing that really bothers me. Although there's a map that shows you course, there doesn't seem to be an radar/sonar to indicate dangers ahead. That's a problem, because enemy subs tend to appear unexpectedly. And once they're on the screen you're usually in no position to engage them. I feel like I'm missing something...

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 28th, 2020, 8:16 am

I remember when the 3ds xl came out, gamestop was giving away this game, or pilotwings resort, for free with the purchase of the system. I went with Pilotwings, which is still a pretty fun game to play. Steel diver seemed like a decent enough game, but does it have much content?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 28th, 2020, 4:10 pm

It does have a good amount of content I think, at least for a portable. There are about 10 missions but they tend to be very replayable, especially since there are three types of subs you can use in each. Then there's a periscope mini-game which is just okay. Finally, there's a strategy mode I haven't tried but intend to for my updated review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 28th, 2020, 5:35 pm

When adjusting the sliders I thought that distinctive "tick tick tick" sound effect seemed familiar. Then I figured it out.

Go back and watch Jaws, and fast forward to the first time Quint get a bite on his line. That's the same sound!!

Return to “Now Playing”