Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Postby ActRaiser » July 28th, 2020, 2:37 pm

I'm pretty sure new game prices are at $70 for this gen. I think that's already been mentioned elsewhere.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 28th, 2020, 4:45 pm

$70 for the PS5/XboX generation, or current gen? Either way, it would still seem underpriced to me. I don't buy many current generation games, but I know I haven't bought any PS4 or Switch games that have a $70 sticker on them. Maybe I'm not buying the good stuff.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 28th, 2020, 6:37 pm

I just dont game enough to justify a $600 purchase that includes one game. I probably would have been just happy with a Wii U had I not figured out how much I enjoy true portability and got a switch.
Last edited by Voor on July 29th, 2020, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 28th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Breaker wrote:$70 for the PS5/XboX generation, or current gen? Either way, it would still seem underpriced to me. I don't buy many current generation games, but I know I haven't bought any PS4 or Switch games that have a $70 sticker on them. Maybe I'm not buying the good stuff.

For the next gen.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 28th, 2020, 8:49 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I'm pretty sure new game prices are at $70 for this gen. I think that's already been mentioned elsewhere.

As long as they're still $20 after a year I'm good with it.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 29th, 2020, 6:03 am

DrLitch wrote:
Voor wrote:What are the prices?

Looking at the hardware:

8core/16thread CPU
GPU with ~ 12tflops (although this is a poor measure for the graphical capability of a GPU)
1TB NVMe storage

A comparable CPU for a PC would be a Ryzen 7 3700X which is around $280 now.
A comparable GPU is the 2080TI going by TFlops which costs $1200 or more.
1TB NVMe storage is around $100.

Not including Blu Ray, controllers, and everything else, $1600ish worth of hardware.

If the new consoles retail at $400 I would be astonished.

While PC's and Consoles are apples to oranges there is no question the hardware on the new consoles is rather beefy. They are definitely going to make a massive loss, even accounting for bulk/mass production pricing. If the consoles come in at $500 I would be wondering if game prices are due a hike.

One path they may take to offset costs would be to use a similar plan as Sony did with the original Playstation release; they had hardware that was extremely expensive for the time, and sold it at a major loss, to be absorbed by a 10-year plan of advertising, sales, and development.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » July 29th, 2020, 12:02 pm

I can't say I'm psyched. Both systems appear to just be like the last generation of systems, but with better graphics. But graphics have advanced to the point where its getting hard to tell the difference. And it looks like both systems have limited backward compability. I'd pay good money (maybe up to a thousand a piece) for Xbox and Playstation models that have complete backward compatability, no exceptions, both all digital and disc based games, with all previous Xbox and Playstation models. That way I could clear my living room of some of the older systems.

I'm sure I will buy the new xbox and playstation models eventually, because I will have to for the new games. But I'm not excited, and it just looks like another hurdle to get my games.

ActRaiser wrote:I'm pretty sure new game prices are at $70 for this gen. I think that's already been mentioned elsewhere.

I'm surprised they are even raising the prices of games. I'd figure they'd keep the entry price low, so they can make all their money of off microtransactions.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm

You all disappoint me. You’re all too much like me. Bunch of fuddy duddies willing to wait. Where’s our spend thrifts and Uber enthusiasts at?

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » August 17th, 2020, 9:37 pm

This might be the most boring system launches in the history of gaming. I miss the 90s when companies were all trying to get a piece of the video gaming pie. You had the 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn, PS1, CD-I, Neo Geo and more. Sure, most of those systems crashed and burned like Icarus flying too close to the sun...but it was an exciting time regardless. I remember getting a VHS tape in the mail promoting the Sega Saturn. I'm embarrassed to mention how often I watched it and showed it to my friends.

I'll probably pass on the Xbox Series X. I still haven't picked up a Xbox One. Also, I feel like this is Microsoft's last gaming console before they go the way of Sega. They clearly want to push gaming into a digital only platform and I expect the Xbox brand will eventually become a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu. If they can pull it off with all the games from every one of their consoles (or at least a smattering of most of them) it will be hard to not get a subscription. Still, it's a future I don't want to admit is coming so I'll just go back to caressing my Goldstar 3DO and reliving the glory days.

Also...what sort of killer app will get announced and then disappear into the ether like Project H.A.M.M.E.R.? I'm still waiting for Capcom's Deep Down on the PS4!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Part of me wishes that the Xbox Series X was going with the digital-only format. That way I could completely skip it and never have to worry about another Microsoft console.

However as soon as they release a big physical game (like Halo) I will probably feel obligated to pick one up.

Return to “Video Games General”