Too-Much-TV Era

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Cafeman

Re: Too-Much-TV Era

Postby Cafeman » July 31st, 2020, 2:04 pm

In rural USA, growing up we had like 3 main channels: ABC, CBS, NBC. We also had Channel 3/13 which was PBS, which was the home of Masterpiece Theater, Sesame Street, Mr Rodgers, and Electric Company for the most part. And you watched what was on at the time. Or arranged your schedule around shows. We had a big antenna on a pole, it towered above our house's roof, and was controlled with a in-home dial and a motorized system to turn the antenna this way or that. If it was set for CBS's channel, you couldn't pick up ABC's channel very well.

Curious British shows would sometimes be aired, often at 11:30 PM on weekends, and these were maniacally different from American entertainment. Benny Hill (somewhat edited at times), Monty Python, and a middle-aged comedian guy who always had a half-glass of booze and was missing one finger (can't recall this name but he was hilarious).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 31st, 2020, 2:54 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:
Atariboy wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:Don't like "Little House on the Prairie"? Too bad, so sad! I am almost embarrassed to admit it but I am sure I know more Little House trivia then the typical male currently in their late 40's! Anyway I digress.

Don't worry around here, since someone else at this forum owns all 9 seasons and the 4 tv movies on both DVD and Blu-Ray. ;)

That's hysterical. I love it. It did not help that my Mom had a massive crush on Michael Landon. Thank God I finally had my own TV in my room when Highway to Heaven came out! Damn I am old!

Highway to Heaven is on the same shelves. :)

None of the 10 seasons of Bonanza that CBS have put out though are there (Out of 14 total). I was never a big fan of that show which made Michael Landon a household name.

Cafeman wrote:Although I don't have any painful memories associated with the show, I did feel the same way and never thought I would re-watch it. My wife read all the books and would tell me about the changes from the books to the show which was interesting. But we watched the very first pilot movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the reasons being was it was amazing to see how young everybody was.

I think part of the reason why I love the pilot movie so much is just because of how much it follows the books (In particular, the 3rd book that's specifically titled Little House on the Prairie, which it follows almost exactly).

Afterwards, the books are sadly almost completely ignored.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 31st, 2020, 8:30 pm

i don't watching anything past 1990..i watch shows like Leave It Beaver,Dennis The Menace,All In The Family and watch movies from the 50's through the 80s and i LOVE it..i don't have to bother with today's current "stars" and their political agenda's either

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2020, 9:34 am

I am watching Mortal Kombat Conquest on DVD. It was a TV that ran several season, starring Kristanna Loken (hoooooot) among others.

It has these cheesy low budget CGI of exterior shots that I can't get enough of. And some of the acting is outrageously bad. But sometimes stuff like that adds charm. As a matter of fact the series might be unwatchable without it!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 2nd, 2020, 7:46 am

I'm a sucker for rare interesting shows, and seeing that some of you on this post is from the UK, I recently found this rare gem of a show, Knightmare! It might be for kids, but it's super addicting, you'll wanna keep watching to find out who makes it. Can be a little frightening particularly in the later seasons but I'm sure you won't wanna miss this rare series, and thanks to Youtube, some of you can finally catch some of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phidr72 ... bKxfUf9uhp

Tron

Postby Tron » August 11th, 2020, 8:51 pm

ASalvaro wrote:i don't watching anything past 1990..i watch shows like Leave It Beaver,Dennis The Menace,All In The Family and watch movies from the 50's through the 80s and i LOVE it..i don't have to bother with today's current "stars" and their political agenda's either

My cut-off is 1999. Other than video games media pretty much died for me at 2000. Movies, music, And Tv past 1999 is foreign to me. Sure I like some things here and there, but for the most part I’m lost.

I just discovered Ozzy and Harriet, not bad, but I still like Beaver better. The best part is when Little Ricky would sing a tune at the end of the show. You can tell he just thinks he’s “so cool” and he is or was for that matter.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 13th, 2020, 12:52 am

Ozzie & Harriet is great. I remember watching that at a young age with my parents back in the 1980's when it aired on the Disney Channel and own several of the public domain DVD collections like a nice set that Shout Factory put out.

I hope their grandson Sam Nelson (Ricky's son), is able to someday successfully bring to completion his project of transferring all the 35 mm master negatives, allowing the full run of this show to at long last again be able to be seen (And in the best quality possible).

I wish he had taken up offers of help from DVD publishers. A few like MPI were willing to fund professional transfers in exchange for DVD rights a few years ago, but Sam wasn't interested. He wanted to do it alone with crowd funding, but progress has been agonizingly slow. The audience is disappearing along with home video formats. I hope he's able to do something before the window of opportunity closes.

If you enjoy these two, you should check out the Donna Reed Show, the Patty Duke Show, and Father Knows Best. All three are good family sitcoms from the same era. Other than the last few seasons of the Donna Reed Show that Sony is holding hostage and not allowing to be released, all three are available on DVD and streaming services

Return to “Other Media”