Comcast Xfinity is the worst

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Comcast Xfinity is the worst

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2020, 11:03 am

No cable TV all week. Message on the screen says there's a problem on their end and try again later.

Can't get a Comcast representative on the phone. Been on hold all morning.

I'm paying $231/mo for this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Comcast Xfinity is the worst

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2020, 11:44 am

So I was told it was basically my fault for not using their self-service app. Comcast is focused on automating the support process for convenience. We're heard this story before. Convenient for who? Got $20 credit for my troubles.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 10th, 2020, 11:56 am

For that price you may want to call and ask to "cancel" and say you're going to over the air antenna. My hunch is you'll get the "don't go" price.

I did that for Dish the other day and got my price dropped from $150 to $110. Previously, I was paying about $100 per month for 2 years during their new customer period. When it jumped by $50 that was enough incentive for me to call and complain about it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

ActRaiser wrote:For that price you may want to call and ask to "cancel" and say you're going to over the air antenna. My hunch is you'll get the "don't go" price.

I did that for Dish the other day and got my price dropped from $150 to $110. Previously, I was paying about $100 per month for 2 years during their new customer period. When it jumped by $50 that was enough incentive for me to call and complain about it.

Yeah but there's a catch. When the offer expires you're automatically enrolled in the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink plan and your rates go through the roof. And then it's a pain to get that adjusted to something reasonable.

Sadly, Comcast has found a winning strategy in making things as hard as possible for the customer so they'll just give up and pay.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 5th, 2020, 9:17 am

Yeah, but how much do you save in the meantime? Comcast does have competition, at least where I'm at in Chicago. They can go to hell.

Besides, antenna television is really good these days. If it wasn't for my wife or for the Cubs, I doubt I'd even have cable. Why can't the Cubs be on WGN like they were before?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 5th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Where I am (Northern Georgia), we only have the options below for internet:

* Windstream (Cable) - crappy internet speeds, ridiculous rates for what you get
* Dial Up (it IS an option)
* Satellite (where they charge by the megabit)
* Cellular Mobile Hot Spot

That's it. Windstream is literally the only game in town, and they get a government kickback because they are the only game in town. They then use this to buy off the competition from their territory. It's gotten bad enough that every politician running for any office (or any party) campaigns on changing their deal.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 6th, 2020, 1:38 pm

MSR I lived in Gwinnett county. We must be close. Yes cable has gotten ridiculous. I finally dropped mine. With local TV and Netflix I am set. I don't watch TV that much anyway I do a lot more reading and gaming. So I really don't miss the cable which is a good thing. Even at $110 a month that's too much money for the crap you get. Critic your bill is outrageous. Unless the wife insists I would definitely cut the cord.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 6th, 2020, 1:44 pm

matmico399 wrote:MSR I lived in Gwinnett county. We must be close. Yes cable has gotten ridiculous. I finally dropped mine. With local TV and Netflix I am set. I don't watch TV that much anyway I do a lot more reading and gaming. So I really don't miss the cable which is a good thing. Even at $110 a month that's too much money for the crap you get. Critic your bill is outrageous. Unless the wife insists I would definitely cut the cord.

Jackson County, jut a bit close. :lol:

We cut cable TV a while back and use an Antenna for local stations and stram anything else (for me YouTube and the ocassional Prime). Only during football season donI splurge for coverage, and then it is YouTube TV, which is vastly cheaper to Cable/Satellite offerings.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » August 6th, 2020, 2:59 pm

ActRaiser wrote:For that price you may want to call and ask to "cancel" and say you're going to over the air antenna. My hunch is you'll get the "don't go" price.

I never call with Comcast. I just go to this website. https://www.xfinity.com/learn/existing/offers

Here they list their deals. About once a year, they raise my rates, so I go there and look for a new deal. Right now I'm on a Cable plus internet deal for $80. Ofcourse, when they add in all the fees, its closer to $110 a month, but at least its better than the 200 or so it would probably be otherwise. But yeah, its annoying having to do this once a year.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2020, 3:43 am

My broadband it 110 mb a sec. I live in London in the UK. It costs me £37 a month. I have a subscription to the Beeb £150 a year gives me unlimited access to the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5. (Mostly I do not watch them but they are there). Plus Amazon Prime about £4 a month.

Return to “Other Media”