Arcade Section?

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Arcade Section?

Postby matmico399 » August 7th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Critic under your message boards I have a suggestion for a new category. Simply called Arcade. I know they are almost non-existent now but I think it would be fun for people to post pictures and talk about arcade games they grew up with and experienced. I have so many arcade memories it's crazy. Just an idea.

matmico399

Re: Arcade Section?

Postby matmico399 » August 7th, 2020, 6:15 pm

An example.
Attachments
df3.jpg
df3.jpg (200.61 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
df2.jpg
df2.jpg (214.66 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
df.jpg
df.jpg (206.57 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

What do you think guys? Would you participate in a board like this?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 8th, 2020, 9:33 am

Looks great to me.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 8th, 2020, 10:19 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:What do you think guys? Would you participate in a board like this?

If we are just going to talk about hardware then this thread should be fine. You do not have separate boards for consoles, i.e. PS4 board and so on. Conversely if the board is going to cover games and various other topics (like making your own arcade cabinets, modding, diy and so on) then you must be sure to be comfortable with emulation as a theme. I know some sites ban any talk of emulators, some are relaxed, while some offer caveats - i.e. no links to Roms or emulators and so on. I personally do not have an issue with emulation given the movement is quite strong and most are interested in saving digital copies for sake of retro gaming or to prevent games from disappearing entirely. Like saving a species from going extinct. Whatever the case it is a grey area and you might want to brew over it weighing up pros and cons, what rules, if any.

I would participate in an arcade board regarding diy and/or games to play and so on.

You could definitely open up a PC board as well. I have noticed a few folks that also game on a PC. Lots of topics, vintage PC's, DOS games, compatibility i.e. win NT vs 98 vs XP etc, show off PC builds, and so on. Then there are European/UK computers, like Sharp 68000, Tandy, Amiga 500, C64, Spectrum, and so on that could be wrapped into the board. Lots of vintage 8 bit and 16 bit computers. We definitely should have board dedicated to us PC nerds.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 8th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Would love to see VGC review arcade games. :)

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » August 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm

I'm definitely in favour of this idea. Only a week or two ago I was searching the forums for any advice regarding DIY arcade cabinets. Unfortunately I came up empty-handed. Regardless, I am well into the construction of my home arcade using a PC with MAME. I was looking for some ideas and also for any input regarding the many frontends that exist for MAME.

GTS

Postby GTS » August 8th, 2020, 8:08 pm

As a whole separate board, not sure, but it would be nice to have the Critic to start reviewing them. Some have never been released on consoles.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2020, 8:47 pm

I'm a little reluctant to add new boards because that means messing around with the board software, which makes me a little nervous. Shouldn't be a big deal but there's always the possibility of screwing things up.

As for reviewing arcade/PC games, that's not going to happen. There are just too many console games I want to review, and I'll probably never review them all.

As for posting arcade-related stuff, you could post that to the General forum or the Classic forum. Either way would be fine. Let's try that for now. I don't have anything against emulation. I just don't think there would be enough activity to justify another board. The activity on the current boards is pretty light to begin with.

Those Defender flyers are pretty neat. I own one of those machines. I think I still need to review it on my arcade page.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » August 9th, 2020, 3:24 am

I missed out on the golden age of arcades, so I’d be interested to hear everyone’s experiences. A separate section on the board might encourage more conversation about it, but could some official VGC reviews or a thread dedicated to Arcades in general achieve the same?

I agree not letting this lead to having the entire board compartmentalised by every single console. Another board has it set out that way and I felt it negatively affects user participation, especially for new members, which is what actually led me to joining the boards here.

Return to “Video Games General”