Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby MSR1701 » July 17th, 2020, 8:54 pm

goldenband wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:As much as I'd like to see a review of Darxide for 32X, that game is pricey to play legally, what with only the PAL cart in existence, which would require a PAL Mega Drive, PAL 32X AND a compatible TV.

Ah, but I'm not talking about Darxide! It's Supreme Warrior he hasn't reviewed -- the only North American 32X release he's skipped. He did the Sega CD version, but not the 32X CD release.

Going out of region, yes, Darxide would be a nice bonus, but you'd have to use a flash cart or repro cart for that. With those things, and using a version of the ROM that removes the region lockout, it's playable on NTSC-U/60Hz hardware.

There's also FIFA '96 from the European library, and Surgical Strike 32X CD from the Brazilian library (which has been dumped and can be found).

And the Japanese Romancing the Three Kingdoms game, but good point about the US library

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 17th, 2020, 9:07 pm

MSR1701 wrote:And the Japanese Romancing the Three Kingdoms game, but good point about the US library

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I'd be shocked if the Critic played a ROTK game to begin with, let alone an untranslated Japanese one! :) Fortunately ROTK IV is available in English on a few other systems, though I hope the 32X version gets translated someday...

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 18th, 2020, 12:29 am

Only one, in particular:

Prince of Persia on SNES!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 6th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Blazing Dragons (PS1/Saturn)

Classic Point n click game with an interesting cast of talent

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 7th, 2020, 11:35 am

Board Game: Top Shop. It's better against friends, though CPU play is fun enough. It's a really nice Monopoly style game that takes place in a shopping mall. Some of the translations are poor, but the game itself plays incredibly well and actually has some real strategies you can employ against your opponents. It's a great time for sure. It's on the Playstation.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 7th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Pokemon Red/Blue, Yellow, Gold/Silver, Crystal.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 8th, 2020, 7:43 am

I know I said this already in the Halloween thread I started...in July...but I really want to see what the critic thinks of Amnesia the Dark Descent. The entire trilogy is available on a single disc for console. Same with Outlast 1, 2, and Whistleblower.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) since we know he likes strategy rpgs. And the War of the Lions remake on PSP if he's so inclined. Personally I liked that one LESS, despite it being an overall improvement, because i hated the flowery Shakespearean dialogue.

Terraria, just for the heck of it.

Any of the Sniper Elite games.

The Yakuza series (or not...I kinda want to do RPG crew reviews myself for those, haha)

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » August 8th, 2020, 9:10 am

One thing that the Critic does better than anyone else is reviews for obscure CDi titles, and for some his are the only reviews online. There's quite a few others I'd really enjoy reading his thoughts on, such as:

Do You Remember the 1960s?
Making the Grade
Vegas Girls
Oxford Dictionary (it really is a game!)
The Memory Works
Space Safari
The Weather Kitchen
De Zaak van Sam
Pyramid Adventures
Wimbledon Challenge
Court Staff Guide to PPOs
Magic Eraser
Exit 7
Un Indien
PAWS
The Angel and the Demon
A Night in Nylon City
Wordplay
Discover Sport Fishing
Master Labyrinth
Labyrinth of Crete
Solar Crusade

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 8th, 2020, 9:12 am

Always interested in VGC's take on stuff, would be thrilled to hear about these:

Lynx:
Klax (many say it's the best game on the system)

Jaguar:
Battlesphere (game that was hyped for YEARS and took forever to come out)

Playstation:
Hydro Thunder (fascinating to compare versions of this - I own all of them and the arcade machine too!)
San Francisco Rush (if you think the N64 version is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet)

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 8th, 2020, 11:45 am

Red Clash wrote:One thing that the Critic does better than anyone else is reviews for obscure CDi titles, and for some his are the only reviews online. There's quite a few others I'd really enjoy reading his thoughts on, such as:

De Zaak van Sam

This is a fun FMV game! For those not in the know, De Zaak van Sam (Sam's Case, basically) is a Dutch game about a private investigator. I think it was made by college students with external funding, but at least a couple of the actors are fairly well-known in the Netherlands.

It's very short, but memorable and entertaining, and surprisingly risqué at one point. My wife and I were quoting the main song in it for weeks afterwards, and still sometimes do.

The only thing that was a bit tricky is that the English subtitles got cut off on my CRT because of PAL/NTSC resolution differences (PAL has more horizontal lines than NTSC). I have a CD-i unit that can switch between PAL and NTSC, and an external PAL>NTSC converter, so I did that and it worked fine.

Some or all of the cut-off subtitles were probably sitting just offscreen, so a modern TV, you might be able to do some kind of Y-axis adjustment to see them.

Oh, and also, the game's pretty rare and I don't know if it's been dumped. My copy was fairly expensive but I have no regrets.

Return to “Video Games General”