Walking-Sim Adventures

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Marriott_Guy

Walking-Sim Adventures

Postby Marriott_Guy » August 11th, 2020, 11:28 am

Hello all.

I am really enjoying the story driven, first person, walking adventure games as of late. These are a nice break from the usual offerings and provide (at least for me) an engrossing experience without investing 30+ hours. Some of my favorites:

What Remains of Edith Finch? (played on Xbox One)
--- review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYO_3hWPoqA

The Vanishing of Edith Carter (played on Xbox One)
--- review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYic8XaAtQ

Gone Home (played on Xbox One)
--- review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvzCgatLFo

Everybody's Gone to Rapture (played on PC)
--- review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7x5JzjVp8

I still have some more games from this genre on the backlog (i.e. Firewatch). I enjoyed the TellTale series of TWD games and their other offerings, but these are different. The lady friend also enjoyed these while the story unfolded (she is not a gamer at all). Definitely recommended for those seeking a little different gaming experience.

Has anyone else enjoyed these types of games and have any other suggestions?

Terry

Retro STrife

Re: Walking-Sim Adventures

Postby Retro STrife » August 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Sounds like we have a similar taste here, Marriott_Guy. I've also completed Edith Finch, Gone Home, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.. and I have Firewatch downloaded to play eventually. Of the three you mentioned that I've played, I'd rank them:

1. Edith Finch
2. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
3. Gone Home

Really, Edith Finch is an excellent game and one well worth playing for anyone, even if they think they'd hate walking sims.. It'd be my first recommendation for anyone that hasn't tried a walking sim adventure before. It has like an 89 on Metacritic too, so I guess I'm not alone.

I've also played a few others, like Unfinished Swan and The First Tree. I would rank those below the other three, so I can't really recommend them. How is Vanishing of Ethan Carter? I haven't played that one, so I'm wondering how you'd rank it.

Other possible ideas: From everything I've heard, The Stanley Parable is an absolute must-play. It is PC only, which is the main reason I haven't gotten to it yet. Most lists of best walking sims have it at #1.

Another one that interests me is "That Dragon, Cancer" for PC, about a young boy dying of cancer, and developed by two parents whose own young son died from cancer. Sounds very sad to play, but it is well regarded, especially since it is autobiographical of the developers.

Overall I like playing a walking sim once in awhile as a good diversion. The focus on story is the main draw for me, but I also like that they're usually short and relaxing. The shorter the better, I say. And these games live and die with their story, so really that's what it comes down to with whether I enjoy one or not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Can someone explain to me what the heck a walking-sim adventure is??

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 11th, 2020, 9:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can someone explain to me what the heck a walking-sim adventure is??

They are a modern version of old school adventure games. They focus on story and exploration over action. They generally involve walking around the game world, interacting with the environment to gradually unravel the story. The games almost never involve any combat. The name “walking simulator” originated as an insult, implying that the games are boring because they just simulate walking around. I like using that genre name though, and the best walking sims are much better than the haters let on.

Life is Strange is a game you’ve played that some would classify as a walking sim. I personally wouldn’t put it in that category, but still, it’s close enough to give you a sense of what the term means.

I highly recommend What Remains of Edith Finch? for either PS4, Xbox One, or Switch. It is one of the best-reviewed games on all of those systems- around a 90 average. You play as Edith Finch, member of the cursed Finch family, whose members seem to die in unusual ways, and she returns to her family home and explores it unraveling the mysteries of her family members’ untimely deaths.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » August 12th, 2020, 10:29 am

Thanks for the recommendations Retro - much appreciated. I agree with you - What Remains of Edith Finch is an excellent game in this genre and you can't go wrong with it. I would probably rate The Vanishing of Ethan Carter as my second favorite. Both are easy to get onto and showcase this genre admirably.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 12th, 2020, 11:50 am

I figured a walking Sim was something similar to Pokemon Go! :lol:

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 12th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Only played one, it was called Firewatch. I was so disappointed by how linear it was. I was expecting to write people tickets and crap for setting off Fireworks, and actually learn how to find and plan how to put out fires. Nope. Just a lame stalker mystery game that makes you feel ripped off at the end.

Return to “Modern Gaming”