66 GB Patch?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

66 GB Patch?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2020, 10:52 am

Articles like this crack me up and make me mad at the same time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... b55d216f8c

In the old days, memory was tight, so games were highly optimized. It's actually a lot easier for developers to be inefficient with memory and disc space.

Nowadays the developers can afford to be lazy because they know it's YOUR bandwidth and YOUR hard disc and YOUR time and YOUR problem. So you can get used to these huge "patches".

This is why I stick to physical games.

VicViper

Re: 66 GB Patch?

Postby VicViper » August 16th, 2020, 1:09 am

To be fair, while sometimes it happens when a developer doesn't optimise their game very well, or have stuff like FMV cutscenes separated between languages and therefore multiplied even though they could've just used one video and change the audio depending on the dubbing that you chose (Final Fantasy XIII's ports for example, their size are doubled just because they have FMVs for Japanese dub and these same FMVs are duplicated on other files but for English dub), cases like Call of Duty are by far the exception rather than the rule.

I don't think I've ever had a single game where a patch exceeded 5 GB, even on Overwatch where it stacked on and on for several years, when I redownload the whole game, it's been optimised enough so it only weighs about 18 GB total on my HDD. Granted, aside from Overwatch and Paladins, I haven't been playing a lot of current gen multiplayer shooters and I only play on PC & Switch, so maybe it's more common than I'd think and I've been avoiding these games masterfully.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 16th, 2020, 7:54 am

Yeah it's the nature of online games to be constantly changing. Otherwise they wouldn't continue to rake in the dollars.

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » August 23rd, 2020, 6:51 pm

One of the few Modern games I've played is Battlefront 2, and it had multiple multi-gig updates. The final install size before I deleted it was a whopping 79 gigs. A few other games, like Battlefield 1, had similar massive install footprints. My Xbox 1 S only has a 500 gig drive, and only 380 or so gigs are actually usable. I can really only have 3 or 4 AAA large installed games at any one time. I make sure to get all the Achievements so that I won't have to go back later, because once I delete a huge game I will not be re-downloading something that big. It takes hours.

Install sizes and download times are already a problem, what with all the different languages, 4K textures, uncompressed audio, badly unoptimized coding, and whatnot. I've already avoided or put off plenty of games because of their huge footprints (I should not have to buy an external drive- I don't want to return to the bad old days of memory cards) and long download times, and will likely be buying an Xbox the next generation simply because it has a bigger internal drive than the PS5. Game sizes are going to be a major problem this coming generation.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Fallout 76 came out as a complete mess. Last time I loaded it up 64 gb patch. 500 mb on the disc. One of my pals like Destiny 2 think it is 125 Gb currently. Most of the games I really love are a huge 25 gb.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 25th, 2020, 1:31 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Fallout 76 came out as a complete mess. Last time I loaded it up 64 gb patch. 500 mb on the disc.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Bethesda games... Christ these are a nightmare. You'd think by taking so much space in your HDD, they'd include a full range of bug fixes into the mix, but their games usually retain a lot of their jank later on as on day one.

Return to “Modern Gaming”