Sniper Elite III Ultimate Edition (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Nevermind

Sniper Elite III Ultimate Edition (Switch)

Postby Nevermind » August 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Just bought this used for £20. The wife and kids are away and something went horribly wrong; I spent nine hours playing it today. Nine yesterday. I was so absorbed I had to force myself to get up and eat something. Thank goodness I’m back at work tomorrow.

The online reviews are mixed, but generally about 7/10. I'm enjoying it more. A strong 8 - 8.5/10 from me. It reminds me of Hidden and Dangerous (Dreamcast). Another game which I enjoyed more than the gaming press. Likewise Silent Scope. It’s very much slow, patient sniping with mines, grenades and other small arms tactics thrown in.

If you enjoyed H&D or Silent Scope, I’d recommend giving it a go.

snakeboy

Re: Sniper Elite III Ultimate Edition (Switch)

Postby snakeboy » August 15th, 2020, 7:57 pm

I've been intrigued by the Sniper Elite games for a while now. It seems like a lot of the critics knock it for dumb A.I. (at least this version), but that's a selling point in my book. But then again I see words like "stealth", "slow-paced", and "tactical", which kind of turn me off.

I see the Switch version of this is down to $30 on Amazon. I'm tempted...

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » August 16th, 2020, 3:08 pm

The AI hasn’t been a problem for me. I’m only playing on intermediate difficulty. I’m still getting killed periodically. Should have done the tutorials first. From what I’ve read this version - 3 Ultimate edition - ironed out some flaws in previous releases.

It’s definitely slow paced, but I find the tension an intense slow burn. The gaming time flies. Though, if slow is not your thing, I’d steer clear.

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » September 22nd, 2020, 7:50 am

Just acquired a used copy of v2 for the Switch. It’s 65/100 rather than the 80+/100 of III. If you’re going to sample this franchise on the Switch, I’d definitely start with III. III is graphically more polished, has better controls and sandpit play drives problem solving and creative thought.

Return to “Now Playing”