Real Life Virtual Arcade

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Real Life Virtual Arcade

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 17th, 2020, 7:10 am

This is one of the more interesting ideas I've heard about recently. A website called Surrogate TV has created a virtual arcade out of a REAL arcade. By taking real life arcade games and connecting them to computers, they allow people to play them over the internet. So far they have three pinball machines, a claw game, an RC car race, and a robot battle arena. and it's all FREE, all you need it to make an account! Unfortunately they can't have them all running at the same time, so you'll have to check their schedule and log in when the game you want is operational. The lag was pretty noticeable when I played, but that may just be my internet. I'd be interested to hear about other people's experiences. Here's a link to anyone interested: https://www.surrogate.tv/

ActRaiser

Re: Real Life Virtual Arcade

Postby ActRaiser » August 18th, 2020, 8:51 am

Their homepage only has "Coming in the future" for everything. I'm not so sure it's ready for prime time yet.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 18th, 2020, 10:09 am

ActRaiser wrote:Their homepage only has "Coming in the future" for everything. I'm not so sure it's ready for prime time yet.

What do you mean? Their Batman pinball machine is up and running right now.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 18th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Doh! My ad blockers were blocking the stuff. Okay, it didn't quite work for me even after turning off my ad blockers. It's a pass. It's an interesting idea but I'm guessing my Internet connection isn't quite good enough for it yet.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 18th, 2020, 1:51 pm

My go on the Oktoberfest pinball table was over in less than a minute. The delay between me pressing the button and the flipper actually moving was at least half a second. But I watched a few other people play while I was in line. Nobody did good, per se, but most of them did a lot better than me. I'm not sure if that's because their internet is better or if they were just better at the game than I was, haha.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » August 20th, 2020, 1:55 am

This is a very interesting concept but unless they have very optimised infrastructures for game streaming I can't see it taking off. Even Stadia, Nvidia and X box cloud gaming are struggling to perfect this technology and like others have mentioned it really depends on your connecting speeds as well.

I wish I had VR. Many knock it without having experienced it (I have tried it round friends houses ;) ). I emulate some arcade games and there are programmes out there that have you walking around virtual arcades. You can play air hockey, score basketball but most cool is that the software can incorporate your emulators into the virtual arcade machines. For instance you can walk upto a metal slug cabinet and start playing it - SO cool!

Return to “Modern Gaming”