Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)

The readers post their own reviews.
Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 20th, 2006, 8:06 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Cheap as the reward was, I think this was the first Mario game with an "unlock" feature![/QUOTE]

The first SMA had some unlockables as well, most importantly the Yoshi challenge, unlocked after beating all levels (and the level select after beating the game once, if that counts). There were also some minor cosmetic changes like in SMA2.

...if they count as unlockables, would you count the graphic change after beating Special World an unlockable?

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 20th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Adamant, I meant Super Mario World on the SNES was the first game with an "unlockable" by getting yoshi coins, not the advance version. SMW came out before the GBC SMdeluxe did.

I was refering to a fold-out PAPER map of the world that comes with the advance version, NOT the graphical "world map" onscreen (the first game with that was either Zelda 2 or SMB3, not sure..)

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 20th, 2006, 1:19 pm

But the SNES version of SMW didn't have any unlockable for getting dragon coins. Getting 5 coins in a level got you an extra life, the next coin got you 2 extra lives, and any further coins got you 3 exra lives each, as far as I remember.

a1

Postby a1 » December 20th, 2006, 8:33 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]But the SNES version of SMW didn't have any unlockable for getting dragon coins. Getting 5 coins in a level got you an extra life, the next coin got you 2 extra lives, and any further coins got you 3 exra lives each, as far as I remember.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall there ever being more than 5 coins in a level.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 20th, 2006, 11:53 pm

Adamant...you are right about the coins not being unlockables I was thinking of the KEYS that UNLOCKED keyholes. You can't really call these warps, because they don't take you far enough plus one is Mandatory (to get to chocalate mountain) ...but the other two opened up "side paths" that were NOT necessary to beat the game, hence I consider them "Unlockables"-LITTERALY! Your definitions may vary. (there were also hidden areas with 3-up moons and stuff, but sadly no real "warp" pipes.

BTW, I know a lot of people hate SMB2 but I loved it simply BECAUSE it was so different, plus it added many new things that would later come up again-the ability to pick up/throw stuff, turtle shells, bombs and keys!

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » December 21st, 2006, 12:14 am

There's a lot more than just 3 keys. There's 3 just for the 3 switches after the yellow one at the start.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 21st, 2006, 9:19 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Adamant]But the SNES version of SMW didn't have any unlockable for getting dragon coins. Getting 5 coins in a level got you an extra life, the next coin got you 2 extra lives, and any further coins got you 3 exra lives each, as far as I remember.[/QUOTE]
I don't recall there ever being more than 5 coins in a level.
[/QUOTE]

I believe some stages had dragon coins in those bonus areas you accessed by getting the wings with Yoshi - pass the ? block with the wings, get the rest of the dragon coins, then return and get the wings, and you'll get more than 5.

...I think. Don't have the game here at the moment.

There are four switch palaces in total - the Green one is found in Donut Plains 2 (you need to go through a pipe in the ceiling near the end, then find a hidden vine in a block in the room you get to), the Red is in Vanilla Dome 2 (requires some manipulation of a P block to reach the key.. you need to bring it through a wall of coins and then use it to cross a bridge of coins or something.. can't remember, but shouldn't be too hard), and the Blue is in Forest of Illusion 2 (you need to pass through a suspicious-looking wall at a dead end near the bottom).
Should do the trick.

For the record, I don't count secret levels like that as "unlockables", but feel free to do so. Come to think of it, the japanese SMB2 had some secret worlds that could be accessed by beating the game 8 times. Being a disk game, the game saved the number of times it had been beaten and added a small star to the title screen every time, so you could see it yourself (though annoyingly it still didn't save your hi-score) - once the game had been beaten 8 times, you would access world A after beating the final boss. Beating world A got you to world B, then world C and D. There was also a hidden world 9, accessed after world 8 if you had beaten the castles in all 7 previous worlds.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 21st, 2006, 1:05 pm

Thanks Adamant! I think I know now where to look for the switch palaces!I consider "unlockables" to be ANY stuff that A) you do not NEED to get to win the game AND B) collecting or getting the item(s) triggers something special. Doesn't matter if it's just a star or yoshi egg or bonus lives, the keys and switch palaces make the main game EASIER but are not REQUIRED. Thats just me. (coins and mushrooms are not "necesary" but don't trigger anything special thats not part of the main game).
I rarely try for unlockables unless they are super easy. I never bothered with the big coins in NSMB/DS.
BTW, one more question...on Chocalate island 2, past the ghost house, you get either an easy or hard (with all bent platforms) level after entering the pipe but I can't figure out what triggers it. I got easy by chance and beat it, but my freind is stuck on the hard...anyone remember?

a1

Postby a1 » December 21st, 2006, 11:13 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
BTW, one more question...on Chocalate island 2, past the ghost house, you get either an easy or hard (with all bent platforms) level after entering the pipe but I can't figure out what triggers it. I got easy by chance and beat it, but my freind is stuck on the hard...anyone remember?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm thinking of the same level, but I remember one in which you can get different paths by going at different speeds. Try rushing through the first part, then taking your time to see which paths you get.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 22nd, 2006, 8:14 am

There are four rooms in that level, and the three last ones each have two different versions depending on various conditions. I'm not completely sure, but I think the first one depends on the number of coins your got, the second on the number of dragon coins, and the third on remaining time.
Rush through the level, and you should reach the alternate version of the final room, where you'll find the key.

...I think.

Return to “Reader Reviews”