Galagon (Atari 2600)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Galagon (Atari 2600)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2020, 1:15 pm

I recently got this new homebrew in my latest Atari Age order, and the quality is amazing. As usual, the packaging, manual, and cartridge are first rate. The game itself is the Atari 2600 version of Galaga, but you can argue it's actually better. It runs so smooth and you can hold in the fire button. Aliens are spaced out a bit more, making it hard to clean up on the challenge stages - or acquire the doubleshot. There's also a coop mode and ability to save high scores via Atarivox.

I guess the only downside it that it's Galaga - a game I'm bought and played too many times to count. Stay tuned for review.

thrust26

Re: Galagon (Atari 2600)

Postby thrust26 » September 4th, 2020, 10:50 am

Looking forward to your review.

The larger spacing is due to technical limitations of the 2600. The TIA cannot to any better.

johnnywc23

Postby johnnywc23 » September 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I recently got this new homebrew in my latest Atari Age order, and the quality is amazing. As usual, the packaging, manual, and cartridge are first rate. The game itself is the Atari 2600 version of Galaga, but you can argue it's actually better. It runs so smooth and you can hold in the fire button.

Hi Dave! It's exciting to hear that you'll be reviewing another Champ Games 2600 release, I hope you enjoy it! FYI the 'auto fire' is an option that can be disabled for each player by flipping the appropriate difficulty switch to 'A' for the hard core players that want single shot like the arcade. :)

Aliens are spaced out a bit more, making it hard to clean up on the challenge stages - or acquire the doubleshot.

Yes, unfortunately this a limitation of the Atari 2600 if you want to display > 3 of the same sprite on the same horizontal area without flicker (this was used in Atari's version of Galaxian for the 2600).

There's also a coop mode and ability to save high scores via Atarivox.

There's also the CHALLENGE mode where you compete just against the challenge stages. :D This is great for practice and really is a challenge (you can even do CHALLENGE mode with co-op too, and blame 'the other guy' for missing the last alien ;)

I guess the only downside it that it's Galaga - a game I'm bought and played too many times to count. Stay tuned for review.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks,
John

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2020, 12:43 pm

This this case I think the technical "limitations" actually improve the game. As a longtime Galaga fan I welcome the challenge!

I only wish I could have my friends over to test the coop. I think they would love it.

johnnywc23

Postby johnnywc23 » September 5th, 2020, 10:06 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This this case I think the technical "limitations" actually improve the game. As a longtime Galaga fan I welcome the challenge!

I only wish I could have my friends over to test the coop. I think they would love it.

Co-op is a lot of fun, especially when you 'save' the other ship and have 2 ships simultaneously! My son and I play often and it's very satisfying clearing a challenge stage with quadruple fire power! :D

Return to “Now Playing”