Wave Race on the Switch?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 484
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby DrLitch » July 22nd, 2020, 12:01 pm

I cannot comment on the authenticity of this information

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_se ... endo_games

But if it is somewhere near accurate Wave Race or F-Zero do not even chart top 20. Even Metroid is perilously close to being a franchise that Nintendo could easily let rot in the video game history dumpster.

I agree, Wave Race and another F-Zero would be right up my alley and many alleys here. One has to wonder if there is enough money in it for Nintendo to actually bother. That said, Xenoblade Chronicles series and Fire Emblem have seen active development recently and neither were Earth shattering sellers. so who knows....

Voor
Posts: 1058
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby Voor » July 22nd, 2020, 12:36 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Voor wrote:Part of me gets annoyed with re-releases. I get that in the Switch’s case they allow owners who didn’t have Some of their old consoles to enjoy these games (like New Super Mario U, DK Tropical Freeze, Resident Evil 4, etc), but I kind of like systems (or generations) being defined by games that are unique to them.

I hear Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy are about to be packaged together in a re-release for the Switch, and I have mixed feelings about that.


Given all of the rereleases on the PS4 and Xbox, and the inevitable rereleases on PS5 and onward, I can't be mad about rereleasing games on the Switch, especially given how horrible the WiiU sold.

That said, Nintendo does have a history of not releasing new games in their series, though they are far from the only one that does this (Hello Sega, how is Ristar and Eternal Champions today?). On the other hand, Nintendo at least does reference their games in nice tribute fashion (Mario Kart 8's F-Zero, ExiteBike and Zelda courses and Super Smash Ultimate), which is more than I can say for most other developers.

The sad thing is that many of these series are not AAA Tier titles these days and would not sell as well as we would like/hope. I would love to see a Wave Race or F-Zero game, but I would not be one to buy it, as while I would enjoy them I wouldn't play them as much as, say, Shantae or Pokemon Shield.


Sorry, I meant the whole practice in general, not just the Switch.

User avatar
Atariboy
Posts: 781
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby Atariboy » July 22nd, 2020, 6:43 pm

DrLitch wrote:I cannot comment on the authenticity of this information

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_se ... endo_games

But if it is somewhere near accurate Wave Race or F-Zero do not even chart top 20. Even Metroid is perilously close to being a franchise that Nintendo could easily let rot in the video game history dumpster.

I agree, Wave Race and another F-Zero would be right up my alley and many alleys here. One has to wonder if there is enough money in it for Nintendo to actually bother. That said, Xenoblade Chronicles series and Fire Emblem have seen active development recently and neither were Earth shattering sellers. so who knows....


Don't forget though that Nintendo is a hardware manufacturer as well.

There's value there in providing fan service even though something like a new Metroid likely won't set the sales charts on fire, since there are long-time Nintendo fans waiting on classic franchises like Metroid to arrive.

Getting them invested into Nintendo's new hardware and buying accessories and additional games is as much the goal for something like Metroid that traditionally performs modestly in the sales department, as is making money from the sales of the game itself.

That's why I was and remain worried about the idea of Nintendo someday going 3rd party. When that happens, the incentive to do a project like Metroid Prime 4 suddenly diminishes greatly when something like a new Mario Kart or Animal Crossing is a license to print money.

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 484
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby DrLitch » July 22nd, 2020, 8:28 pm

Atariboy wrote:
Don't forget though that Nintendo is a hardware manufacturer as well.

There's value there in providing fan service even though something like a new Metroid likely won't set the sales charts on fire, since there are long-time Nintendo fans waiting on classic franchises like Metroid to arrive.

Getting them invested into Nintendo's new hardware and buying accessories and additional games is as much the goal for something like Metroid that traditionally performs modestly in the sales department, as is making money from the sales of the game itself.



That makes sense, I think you nailed it.

Atariboy wrote:That's why I was and remain worried about the idea of Nintendo someday going 3rd party. When that happens, the incentive to do a project like Metroid Prime 4 suddenly diminishes greatly when something like a new Mario Kart or Animal Crossing is a license to print money.


I think you nailed that as well, Nintendo going 3rd party could see a lot of beloved franchises vanish forever. Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokemon games only, we would all be worse off. Mario Kart 9 vs Prime 4, please give me Prime 4 I yearn for something different.

brendand
Posts: 46
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby brendand » July 23rd, 2020, 11:50 am

Another one Nintendo has not had a new one in a long while is 1080

Correct me if i am wrong but it seems that Nintendo is reluctant to release a new F-Zero,1080 or Wave Race due to the decline in water based racing ,futuristic racers and snowboarding games in general has there been a million plus seller of any of those genres in past 15 years ? i am sure they are just paying attention to what will sell these days and not taking as much of a risk with declining genre titles.

i wish they would take the risk but it seems unlikely at this point in time.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 330
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby MSR1701 » July 23rd, 2020, 11:56 am

Unless your racing game is named Mario Kart, odds are you are not pulling in Big Bucks on return right now. As much as I like Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Wave Racer, they don't have the pull they once did.

Heck, I would LOVE. A classic arcade style Ridge Racer or Crusin game, probably won't see one for a good, long while.

Back to Virtua Racing n nostalgia on the switch...

User avatar
nesfan
Posts: 143
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby nesfan » September 4th, 2020, 9:26 pm

I want them to turn Ice Climber into a 3D platformer. Now that those are having a bit of a renaissance. I've also always wanted Nintendo to renew the Urban Champion IP and make it their own Street Fighter type fighting game.

BanjoPickles
Posts: 297
Joined: June 18th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby BanjoPickles » September 6th, 2020, 1:01 am

Honestly, I’m surprised that Nintendo has allowed ten years to pass without a new Punch Out, considering how brilliantly the Wii remake turned out. It also sold well to boot!

....then again, given the current cultural landscape, a new Punch Out would probably stick out like a sore thumb and serve as a lightning rod for controversy. It’s a shame, because it has always been one of my favorite franchises.

Other than that? Would a new Wave Race or 1080 sell all that well in 2020? Didn’t Starfox Zero tank pretty badly? I think Nintendo understands that some of their franchises simply don’t have the clout to make a dent.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 553
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 6th, 2020, 4:56 am

BanjoPickles wrote:....then again, given the current cultural landscape, a new Punch Out would probably stick out like a sore thumb and serve as a lightning rod for controversy..


Everyone keeps acting like we're all hyper-sensitive, but South Park has two games out, one of them with a difficulty selection based on skin color.

And nobody cared.

Just like nobody cares about GTA's racial stereotypes. It's only made them more popular.

Really, these days, the biggest controversies are historical accuracy (with hypocrisy everywhere) and publishers loading full priced games with micro-transactions and pay-to-win gambling mechanics. (Which is the only thing gamers can all agree on hating.)

User avatar
noah98
Posts: 268
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Re: Wave Race on the Switch?

Postby noah98 » September 6th, 2020, 8:00 am

Wave Race 64 is still one of my favorite games. I liked Blue Storm, but it was hard! I'd be interested in another 1080 Snowboarding or Punch Out as well.

An Excitebike sequel would be great if they made it arcade style like Excite Truck and Excite Bots.


Return to “Modern Gaming”