3DO Direct Catalog

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

3DO Direct Catalog

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I recently purchased a copy of Starblade after hearing you guys discuss it, and in the box was a 3DO Direct catalog which I found quite entertaining. In the front the catalog/order form justifies itself by saying retailers just don't have the space to stock all the 3DO's fantastic library. HA. Like they'd want to.

First of all, there are a LOT of titles listed in here, some of which I don't even think were released. A sample:

11th Hour: Sequel to 7th Guess: This one is listed for $69.99! You don't save any money by ordering from this catalog, that is for sure.

The Coven: This adult game would be a great addition to my Halloween special if I could only find a copy! Keep an eye out guys.

ESPN Golf: Lower you Score with Tom Kite - $79.95??

ESPN Let's Play Beach Volleyball. I can't imagine spending $49.95 for a glorified instruction video.

Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise - a less-than-politically-correct kids title.

Mathemagics: "Imagine adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and squaring numbers all in your head". This may be the worst sales pitch of all time.

Sex: "Office politics... how they got ahead in a man's world" "Minimal interaction" Oh I doubt that.

20th Century Video Almanac - I'm sure this has aged well. Who needs the internet when you have this disc??

There are even a few pages of 3DO apparel... I've never seen anyone wear. And never will

Retro STrife

Re: 3DO Direct Catalog

Postby Retro STrife » September 4th, 2020, 2:01 pm

First off, always good to hear that a new 3DO review is in the pipeline. Good system for some new reviews. You reviewed Starblade on the Sega CD and didn't like it - hopefully the 3DO version is a step up.

But I always love those old catalogs. They can be especially cool with the "failed" systems, because they'll often have games in them that never got released.

I always wondered.. for a video game company that's still in business with the same address.. what would happen if you mailed in an order form from one of these '90s catalogs? I wonder if they'd just ignore it, or at least humor you with a response.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 8th, 2020, 10:11 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I recently purchased a copy of Starblade after hearing you guys discuss it

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php ... Home_Ports

Really looking forward to your review. There's not a single real time 3d calculation, but does the difficulty and ambition factor into the final grade?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 8th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Lol on your comments Critic. I really want that video almanac.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 8th, 2020, 6:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:First of all, there are a LOT of titles listed in here, some of which I don't even think were released. A sample:

11th Hour: Sequel to 7th Guess: This one is listed for $69.99! You don't save any money by ordering from this catalog, that is for sure.

That one definitely wasn't released as far as I know (at least not for the 3DO). All the others you name were, I think.

VideoGameCritic wrote:The Coven: This adult game would be a great addition to my Halloween special if I could only find a copy! Keep an eye out guys.

Sex: "Office politics... how they got ahead in a man's world" "Minimal interaction" Oh I doubt that.

These games are what CD-R burners were made for! Spoiler alert, most of those adult titles are either games in the vaguest sense of the word, or really not games. But the one I did watch was pretty funny.

Speaking of Halloween and CD-Rs, we've gotta get you a copy of the fan-translated version of Dr. Hauzer. It's perfect for the occasion.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 8th, 2020, 10:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:20th Century Video Almanac - I'm sure this has aged well. Who needs the internet when you have this disc??

According to the Star Trek: DS9, tablets with built in digital encyclopedias/text books are the future of education.

Give it a couple hundred years, and Texas Instruments will update their calculators accordingly.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 9th, 2020, 9:54 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:20th Century Video Almanac - I'm sure this has aged well. Who needs the internet when you have this disc??

According to the Star Trek: DS9, tablets with built in digital encyclopedias/text books are the future of education.

Give it a couple hundred years, and Texas Instruments will update their calculators accordingly.

LOL!!!

Return to “Classic Gaming”