Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Re: Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

Postby DrLitch » July 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm

Has anyone modded this yet and added games? Search through Youtube reveals nothing of interest.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 21st, 2020, 8:36 pm

DrLitch wrote:Has anyone modded this yet and added games? Search through Youtube reveals nothing of interest.

I'm waiting on Project Phobos to be released shortly after Project Lunar 1.1 gets released.

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicmods/comments/g46izw/pcengineturbografx16_mini_hacked_proof_of_concept/

I used Project Lunar to mod my Sega Genesis. It was super easy and far less time consuming than Hakchi. I remember getting the images for the ROMs took forever on the SNES Classic. Project Lunar was far quicker and easier to do. Unfortunately, it has far less features than Hakchi. But for me it got me what I wanted with a minimal amount of time.

https://modmyclassic.com/project-lunar/

Frankly, I'm not in a big hurry to mod it due to there being a sizable amount of games to get crushed at already on the mini. Shooters are hard (or I'm terrible at them).

Anyone tried figuring out the Japanese to play Appare! Gateball (croquet/gateball)? I managed to randomly click buttons to get it going once. The critic should add this one to his review list. :lol:

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 22nd, 2020, 6:59 am

Atariboy wrote:Scanned the thread and didn't notice anyone mentioning this, but there's a lot of hidden extras on this.

The headliners are new M2 programmed ports of Salamander, Gradius, and Fantasy Zone that are more accurate to the arcade originals. To access these, highlight the matching TG16 title in the main menu (The Mini includes the original versions of all three) and fire up the hidden game by holding down the select button as you press the run button. The same unlock method also opens up Soldier Blade Caravan, a score attack version of Soldier Blade.

And lastly, two additional extras are accessed from Salamander in the main menu. The first extra is Force Gear, which is accessed by highlighting Salamander, pressing select two times to trigger a chime, and then hitting the run button. The second extra is TwinBee Returns, which is also accessed by highlighting Salamander, but this time you have to hit select three times before hitting run.

Force Gear and TwinBee Returns were originally hidden minigames in a PC Engine Super CD dating sim called Tokimeki Memorial, the only game from the PC Engine Mini that isn't also in our own TG16 Mini. In its place on the TG16 Mini is Salamander, a game westerners actually would want to play. But M2 went the extra mile and still included the two interesting minigames for us.

Great finds! I was familiar with the first three but will have to check out the two extras. M2 did a great job on the Turbografx 16 Mini. Is anyone going to get the hub and extra controllers? Once Covid passes it might be fun to have a few old school Bomberman matches.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 22nd, 2020, 6:36 pm

I plan to buy the 8BitDo wireless controller for it soon, but will be passing on the hub and the hard to find official USB power supply from Hori (The NES/SNES Classic USB power adapter works perfectly on my TG16 Mini).

I'm thinking about getting one of these fake cartridges though to decorate mine with.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/809866423/ ... oUQAvD_BwE

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 22nd, 2020, 8:33 pm

Atariboy wrote:I plan to buy the 8BitDo wireless controller for it soon, but will be passing on the hub and the hard to find official USB power supply from Hori (The NES/SNES Classic USB power adapter works perfectly on my TG16 Mini).

I'm thinking about getting one of these fake cartridges though to decorate mine with.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/809866423/ ... oUQAvD_BwE

That is awesome! What cartridge would you get or would you get a handful of them for the giggles? Once it's hacked you wouldn't even have to limit yourself to what's on the console today versus what you may want to put on it later. Bomberman or Bonk would probably be my two top picks.

I picked up the 8BitDo wireless controller not long after receiving the console. It works great. I wasn't sure how the rapid fire buttons would work versus the switches on the standard controller. However, they work fine.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 24th, 2020, 2:19 am

I was thinking about going with Galaga '88.

I'm looking forward to this getting hacked. I don't own the real deal, so other than a few games that I already own digitally on PS3 and Wii/Wii U (Like Final Soldier which oddly was passed over for the Mini), I want to add all the games of interest to me like Prince of Persia.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2020, 7:51 am

There is something hilarious about the desire to insert fake little cartridges into these machines. Don't get me wrong - it's what I would do too! I think it's awesome.

I think it's a reflection of the fact that we still hold physical media dear - so dear we'd rather fake it than be without it!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 11th, 2020, 3:30 pm

After three months of being out of stock, it's back on Amazon USA.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mi ... 85fb77bc58

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 12th, 2020, 9:46 am

I still cannot find any mods for this despite it being several months. The NES/SNES/Genesis classic got insta mods, did people hate the TG16 that much, to the point nobody cares about adding a few titles to the mini? I think this mini is incomplete without Legendary Axe 1/2, Gate of Thunder, Devil's Crush, Bonz Adventure, and Bloody Wolf.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm

The last I heard about it, it had been hacked but a public release was still in development as 'Project Phobos'. It's the Mod My Classic team who also have hacks for the PS Classic (Project Eris, formerly Bleemsync) and the Mega Drive/Genesis mini (Project Lunar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9adMIQnQONQ

Project Lunar has been in desperate need of an update for months but Project Eris seems to have most of their focus. I'd say its safe to assume the pecking order is Eris -> Lunar -> Phobos. I've read elsewhere that Phobos may share a lot of coding with Lunar, so maybe once they finally release Lunar v1.1, the TG16 hack may not be too far behind.

Return to “Video Games General”