Best way to play old Sega Genesis?

General and high profile video game topics.
noah98

Re: Best way to play old Sega Genesis?

Postby noah98 » September 11th, 2020, 9:24 am

goldenband wrote:This is another option:

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg

I don't have one, but it seemed to be fairly well-received. Supposedly zero lag. Don't remember if it supports savestates.

If memory serves, the Minis all suffer from some degree of audio lag, not sure about input lag. For me, perceptible lag is kind of a fun-killer, and even input lag that I don't consciously perceive has an effect on my play, ergo an effect on my enjoyment.

As for game anthologies on newer consoles? Not really my thing.

Analogue Mega-SG is the best way to play Sega Genesis outside of original hardware. Zero Lag, works with the original Sega CD machines, Free Master System adapter, original controllers, etc. I absolutely love mine. With a jailbreak, you can also play Colecovision.

JWK

Postby JWK » September 11th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Noah and goldenband are correct. If you don’t want to play an actual Genesis on a CRT with component cables, the absolute best way to play is on the Mega SG. I’ve had it for about a year and it’s basically perfect. The Genesis Mini has sound lag and a little bit of control lag. Still a good (and cheap) option. The Genesis collection on Switch is pretty lousy with lag. I hate playing the action titles on it, but RPGs would still be playable.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 11th, 2020, 7:23 pm

I have the genesis mini and the 360 genesis collection and that has almost everything I personally want to play and for very little money. Both play great, have save states which I like, and outside of rocket night adventures and mutant league football, (and maybe a few others if I really thought about it) those two collections have everything I'm really looking for. The RPGs on the 360 collection are enough to keep someone occupied for months if they had the time. And Road Rash II on the mini is a joy.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 12th, 2020, 5:36 am

I have the Genesis mini and paid a guy on Ebay $100 to have it fully modded. Now I have all of the Genesis, Master System and Game Gear Games on one console. I also have most of the 32X games along with some Sega CD games. More game then I will ever play in my lifetime unless I live to be about 200. I have said this before, I love the idea of having the original system along with a crazy collection but the minimalist in me prevents it. I just don't like having all that "junk" in my house. Plus, I really don't want to spend the money on the hobby. This is a very cheap way to enjoy retro games and not break the bank. Oh I would definitely recommend getting a six button controller for anybody who has or is going to buy s a Genesis Mini.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 12th, 2020, 1:22 pm

JWK wrote:The Genesis collection on Switch is pretty lousy with lag. I hate playing the action titles on it, but RPGs would still be playable.

...so I am not the only one who feels that way? The games really feel 'off' for me (I'm someone who played on the original hardware for years). Also, I don't understand why the Wonderboy-games are missing in this collection in comparison to the PS4. And why are there no extra's (interviews, box arts, manuals) as in the Xbox 360/PS3 Sega Genesis Collection? No, I can't recommend this Switch edition, it feels clunky and crappy to me. (BTW, all those version feature American box art, even the European PAL releases. Why are they always to lazy to optimize these collection for the European market?

Arnold

Postby Arnold » September 12th, 2020, 5:23 pm

The Sega Genesis Mini is excellent. The Asian and Japanese versions of the "Mega Drive Mini" have exclusive games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 1st, 2020, 3:34 am

The Analogue Mega Sg is in my opinion the definitive Sega Genesis.

A big annoyance for me with Sega Genesis Classics on PS4 is the lack of remappable controls. I wasn't expecting emulation perfection, but to not be able to map the buttons correctly on my 6 button Hori Fighting Commander gamepad was a real miss.

Fully remappable controls should be mandatory for classic compilations.

Return to “Video Games General”