"Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
TheEagleXIII
Posts: 184
Joined: December 22nd, 2019, 9:33 am

Re: "Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 11th, 2020, 2:48 am

ActRaiser wrote:You gotta scroll through the comments on the original poster's link. Some are pure gold.

So far my favorite is

"EA doesn’t even live up to their own motto.
He’s not in the game."


:lol: :lol: :lol:

ActRaiser wrote:"The 81 rating matches exactly his rating from his last appearance in the game. All they did was clone over his player profile from 4 years ago.

They didn’t reevaluate or lose any sleep over how to grade him. They pressed copy & paste. LOL People read too much into Madden, like it is actual news."


Ha! My first thought was 'if only they had put as much effort or thought into their games as they did this' but EA still gonna EA, I suppose. :lol:

LoganRuckman
Posts: 343
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 1:04 am

Re: "Colin Kaepernick’s Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby LoganRuckman » September 11th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:This topic isn’t about video games, this is political. Why is this here?


I had a similar thought before clicking into the topic, but I don't think it's gone that route yet. For any non-sports fans, note that Madden ratings are a common debate on ESPN, sports radio, and among athletes. August is a slow sports time, so it gives sports fans something to debate.. "why is this guy ranked higher than that guy?".. "is so-and-so as good as Madden says he is?".. asking players "do you agree with your Madden rating?", etc. Looking at the linked article in the original post, that seemed to be the intent of the article as well.

As a big sports fan, I view Kaepernick as a football player, and as a high-profile player who hasn't played in a few years, so that's how I meant my response. EA could have included someone in a similar situation, like Tim Tebow, with a high rating and I think it would also get articles and commentary from fans. If someone hears "Kaepernick" and just thinks politics, that's on them. Or if someone comments on EA getting political, to me that's about video games.. it's not about anyone's personal politics here (which is the issue we try to avoid).


Perhaps, but this was posted in Other Media rather than General or Modern Gaming, which makes me wonder about the motives a little bit.

Personally, I think it would be cool if we had an actual "world issues" forum to discuss politics, religion, social issues, etc. It could create some very interesting discussions with the wonderful and insightful people on the forum, and it might prevent those topics from spilling over into other threads, at least a little bit. I understand that a lot of people might not be on board with this, but I think it'd be interesting to do a little test run of sorts to see how it goes. And if we can be respectful and engage in civil discourse despite differences in world views, we can keep it. If it turns out to be disastrous, then just delete it and say we at least tried.

Would anyone else be interested in that? Or is it a terrible idea?

Gleebergloben123
Posts: 281
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

Re: "Colin Kaepernick’s Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:This topic isn’t about video games, this is political. Why is this here?


I had a similar thought before clicking into the topic, but I don't think it's gone that route yet. For any non-sports fans, note that Madden ratings are a common debate on ESPN, sports radio, and among athletes. August is a slow sports time, so it gives sports fans something to debate.. "why is this guy ranked higher than that guy?".. "is so-and-so as good as Madden says he is?".. asking players "do you agree with your Madden rating?", etc. Looking at the linked article in the original post, that seemed to be the intent of the article as well.

As a big sports fan, I view Kaepernick as a football player, and as a high-profile player who hasn't played in a few years, so that's how I meant my response. EA could have included someone in a similar situation, like Tim Tebow, with a high rating and I think it would also get articles and commentary from fans. If someone hears "Kaepernick" and just thinks politics, that's on them. Or if someone comments on EA getting political, to me that's about video games.. it's not about anyone's personal politics here (which is the issue we try to avoid).


Perhaps, but this was posted in Other Media rather than General or Modern Gaming, which makes me wonder about the motives a little bit.

Personally, I think it would be cool if we had an actual "world issues" forum to discuss politics, religion, social issues, etc. It could create some very interesting discussions with the wonderful and insightful people on the forum, and it might prevent those topics from spilling over into other threads, at least a little bit. I understand that a lot of people might not be on board with this, but I think it'd be interesting to do a little test run of sorts to see how it goes. And if we can be respectful and engage in civil discourse despite differences in world views, we can keep it. If it turns out to be disastrous, then just delete it and say we at least tried.

Would anyone else be interested in that? Or is it a terrible idea?


VGC, please never ever ever do this. We need a happy place. (With all due respect to LoganRuckman).

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 1836
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: "Colin Kaepernick’s Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby Retro STrife » September 12th, 2020, 3:58 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:VGC, please never ever ever do this. We need a happy place. (With all due respect to LoganRuckman).


I like your thinking Logan, but I'd vote the same as Gleebergloben. These days even well-intentioned social and political discussions turn divisive. On social media, we start disliking our own friends and relatives simply because of the annoying political positions they take. I think the same would happen here; it's just human nature. I'd much rather see us all dislike each other for more legitimate reasons, ya know, like for thinking the Gamecube was a cool system... ;)

By the way though, I think there is gray area that's fair game when it's video game related. For example, developers injecting social/political commentary into their games and whether that's good or bad is a hot topic in the industry right now, and I've seen opinion pieces in magazines and online about it. This topic is a possible example of that.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14317
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: "Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2020, 9:31 am

I think me and Retrostrife are on the same page. I don't want to shut down a thread just because it touches on politics with regard to games, but I don't want politics to run roughshod over these boards like it has just about every other aspect of our lives!

LoganRuckman
Posts: 343
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 1:04 am

Re: "Colin Kaepernick’s Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby LoganRuckman » September 12th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I don't want us all hating each other either.

Retro STrife wrote:I'd much rather see us all dislike each other for more legitimate reasons, ya know, like for thinking the Gamecube was a cool system... ;)


Ok not gonna lie, this actually triggered me a little bit haha. GCN is the best system, and I will die on that hill! And I'll also die on the "6th gen is best gen" hill.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 1836
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: "Colin Kaepernick’s Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby Retro STrife » September 12th, 2020, 9:11 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Ok not gonna lie, this actually triggered me a little bit haha. GCN is the best system, and I will die on that hill! And I'll also die on the "6th gen is best gen" hill.


:lol: See! Mission accomplished haha. In reality, I have no GCN hate. Just seemed like a good system to pick on for that line.

icepeople
Posts: 25
Joined: January 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Re: "Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby icepeople » September 13th, 2020, 12:32 pm

As the OP, I was amused by the article merely because it seems obvious EA is doing this to stir up controversy (and thus sales) merely by including CK, let alone the nonsensical rating. Not exactly the first time in the industry, but still of enough interest to mention. But, no, I had/have no desire to turn this thread into a rehash of the infinite number of tirelessly repetitive rants everywhere else on the web.

User avatar
C64_Critic
Posts: 257
Joined: April 11th, 2015, 11:51 am

Re: "Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby C64_Critic » September 13th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Keeping with the 'video game' aspect of this issue/thread, can anyone comment on whether the most recent Madden (or even previous iterations) include other players who are not actually current players? All the political stuff aside, I don't understand why Madden would include someone who isn't in the league at all. They may as well have a "C64_Critic" player, at this point I'm as much an employee of the NFL as Kaepernick is.

icepeople
Posts: 25
Joined: January 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Re: "Colin Kaepernick's Madden rating is higher than 17 starters"

Postby icepeople » September 13th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Without doing any research admittedly, I assumed including somebody who's been inactive for three years and has no obvious prospects is unprecedented. Obviously a big part of it being a clever/stupid marketing trick (depending on your viewpoint).


Return to “Other Media”