Halloween Suggestions?

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby DrLitch » September 13th, 2020, 7:16 pm

snakeboy wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Darkwood is supposed to get a physical release through Super Rare Games sometime this year.

That is pretty cool I thx for info 8-)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Critic:=>

Add to the list

Hellblade for PS4/Xbox One. Has a physical release. 8-12 hours to clock it from start to finish. Amazing visuals, disturbing and unsettling content, a solid B+ title. Solve puzzles and a bit of hack n slash to boot.

I second the Dying Light recommendation although you did not seem to like the Parkour in Mirror's Edge so Dying Light might be hit or miss in this regard.

brendand

Postby brendand » September 13th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Missing a Handheld section?

Kid Dracula (Gameboy)
Dracula The Undead (Atari Lynx)
The Addams Family (Gameboy)
Barnyard Blast (DS)
Nightmare Before Christmas The Pumpkin King (GBA)
Resident Evil Gaiden (GBC)
Resident Evil Revelations (3DS)
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (3DS)
Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare (GBC)

just the start of a potentially long list

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 14th, 2020, 3:35 am

Do I have to resort to begging you to review Amnesia: The Dark Descent on PS4? Because I will. I will beg so freaking hard. Please don't make me do that.

But in all seriousness, seeing how much you loved Alien: Isolation, I bet you'd enjoy Amnesia too. It's where the trend of hidey-no-fighty (if you'll pardon my dense academic jargon) horror games originated from. It even comes with the other two games included in the Amnesia Collection.

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » September 14th, 2020, 5:52 am

Shadow Man - Dreamcast (or n64/ps1). Scheduled for a 'remastered' PS4 and Switch release in 2021. A review of the original now could set up for nice comparison next year.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 14th, 2020, 10:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Looked into ordering Carrion on Ebay, but apparently you can only "buy" a preorder; the game won't actually arrive for months.
Not sure how that works but I'll pass.

The game looks amazing so hopefully they'll do a reissue at some point.

Preorders for the physical edition ended about three weeks ago and the game isn't supposed to ship for a few months, so I guess people are selling their preorders - and yeah, I wouldn't buy one of those either myself. I imagine some legitimate copies will be up for sale by the end of the year.

There's also Blasphemous, which I've played most of (although I still haven't finished it) and posted about before. Metroidvania with bloody combat and horrific imagery inspired by old Spanish religious art. I'd give it a B+ from what I've played of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SxYMu5qGY (trailer has copious amounts of blood/gore so probably NSFW)

This game had a physical release through Limited Run Games last year for the Switch and PS4 and copies are available on Ebay for a premium. As usual, much cheaper digital copies are available as well.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 14th, 2020, 11:12 am

Hey Critic check out Deadly Premonition 2 on the Switch. You seemed to dig the first one and I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the sequel.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2020, 4:35 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Hey Critic check out Deadly Premonition 2 on the Switch. You seemed to dig the first one and I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the sequel.

Is this even a Halloween game?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 15th, 2020, 6:33 pm

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (PC)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 17th, 2020, 6:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:If you get a chance please peruse my Halloween Special and see if you can come up with recommendations for additional entries or maybe some updates!

1. The "Friday the 13th" game on PS4 and Xbox One. They've added single player and released it on physical media.

2. "Captain Tomaday" on Neo Geo. Should be on your multicart. It's a crappy vertical shooter starring a flying tomato, but it has light Halloween themes! The first level has graveyards and enemies include bats and jack-o-lanterns.

3. "The X-Files" on PS1. You probably don't follow the show, but that's ok. Released in 1998, this was one of the last of a dead genre -- a FMV point-and-click adventure game. It presents its own standalone episode of the show, with the real actors playing their roles in FMV form. It's not anything special, but what can you expect..

Return to “Video Games General”