2020/9/22: NES: Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Kirby's Adventure

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/9/22: NES: Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Kirby's Adventure

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 24th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Still don't think the controls are overloaded?

I'm not saying Nintendo could help it - there are only two buttons for Pete's sake.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 25th, 2020, 12:52 am

Inspired by this review, I pulled Kirby's Adventure off the shelf tonight and played it for the first time ever. I played through the first two worlds. No joke, I fell asleep at one point and have no idea how long I was out .. I don't know whether the pumpkin beer did it or Kirby, but either way it wasn't a good sign.

I think your review of this game was on point and very fair, and I can't take any issue with the score. It might even be lower if not for the Kirby name. For an end-of-life NES title, the graphics and level design are pretty unimpressive. And again, Kirby as a character just doesn't do it for me. I agree with you about the easy gameplay .. but I kind of like that .. I'm tired of tough-as-nails 8-bit platformers .. I want to play the game, not die in level 2 over and over. Anyway, maybe the easy gameplay was to appeal to kids, but it could also just be a sign of the times. By 1993 developers were finally trending toward easier gameplay and Kirby's Adventure might just be a product of that shift.

But anyway, glad I got to try out Kirby's first console game, but not sure I'll be back for more.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 25th, 2020, 4:25 am

When my wife got her SNES Classic I gave the Kirby games a quick go and got bored relatively quickly. Maybe I just didn't understand what the point of the games is, but I just didn't see why it was considered classic enough to make the final cut of 20 twice. Which is a shame considering the character is iconic Nintendo, even if it is 3rd/4th tier.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » September 26th, 2020, 10:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Funny, I thought it was the Jackie Chan grade that was going to disappoint readers!

I'm disappointed with both. :mrgreen:
I really enjoy both of these games. I'd probably even put them in my top 25 NES games. Personal preferences are...uhh...personal. I take this personal! :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2020, 10:33 am

Great feedback guys - keep it coming.

I noticed an interesting pattern to my review feedback. When I give a game a bad or mediocre grade, I often get an immediate emotional response. People remember playing the game as a kid and loving it. They can't imagine anything less than an A or B.

But later in the thread (like this one) when people actually had a chance to sit down and play the game now, suddenly the response is a lot more consistent with my review and grade.

Actually I think this is why a lot of people are turned off by this site. The first thing they do is look up a favorite game from their childhood, and when they see that D (or God forbid F) they think "this guy has no idea what he's talking about".

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » September 27th, 2020, 5:24 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great feedback guys - keep it coming.

I noticed an interesting pattern to my review feedback. When I give a game a bad or mediocre grade, I often get an immediate emotional response. People remember playing the game as a kid and loving it. They can't imagine anything less than an A or B.

But later in the thread (like this one) when people actually had a chance to sit down and play the game now, suddenly the response is a lot more consistent with my review and grade.

Actually I think this is why a lot of people are turned off by this site. The first thing they do is look up a favorite game from their childhood, and when they see that D (or God forbid F) they think "this guy has no idea what he's talking about".

Interesting point. When I first found this site I just read the main page reviews but it wasn't long before I started to wonder what the critic thought of some of my old childhood favourites. Luckily he agreed with my positive memories of sonic the hedgehog 2 so I stayed :D (joke)
I like that you don't change your opinions to attract certain crowds. If you don't enjoy a game because of the flaws you see then it shouldn't review well. It's similar to my experience of reviewing 'The Eternal Castle' in the 'Readers Review' section. Most critics and users praised the game whilst I found it to be a dull experience etc.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 27th, 2020, 5:11 pm

I think I played Kirby before, but I have it now and will try it out. From what I remember it was a fun little game. I'll get back to this thread if it really disappoints. As far as Jackie Chan that looks so boring I think it would put my ass to sleep. I will pass on that one.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 28th, 2020, 3:46 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Actually I think this is why a lot of people are turned off by this site. The first thing they do is look up a favorite game from their childhood, and when they see that D (or God forbid F) they think "this guy has no idea what he's talking about".

I think you do a decent job countering this by allowing, and displaying, the reader votes right next to your own grade. I found that quite refreshing.

One thing I would like to see done with reader votes, though, is to also display them on the list of games reviewed per console. When I was initially using the site as a way to check out the highest rated games, I could only sort the games by your own grade (aside from alphabetically, year, etc). I know there is the 'Reader Voting Stats' box for underrated/overrated games and readers top 10s (another neat feature which, sadly, probably gets overlooked), but it would neat to sort the whole list. Even if its just to see if there's a community voted hidden gem no-one who does those 'Hidden Gems' listicles ever actually talks about.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 29th, 2020, 5:47 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:One thing I would like to see done with reader votes, though, is to also display them on the list of games reviewed per console. When I was initially using the site as a way to check out the highest rated games, I could only sort the games by your own grade (aside from alphabetically, year, etc). I know there is the 'Reader Voting Stats' box for underrated/overrated games and readers top 10s (another neat feature which, sadly, probably gets overlooked), but it would neat to sort the whole list. Even if its just to see if there's a community voted hidden gem no-one who does those 'Hidden Gems' listicles ever actually talks about.

I heartily second this. Having the reader votes right next to yours on the console games pages, and being able to sort by them, would be awesome. Two thumbs up!

Return to “Review Feedback”