Mario 35 Anniversary

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Mario 35 Anniversary

Postby Voor » September 3rd, 2020, 12:48 pm

Anyone check out the direct? Among the highlights:

-Mario 3D All Stars (64, Sunshine, Galaxy)*
-3D World + Bowser’s Fury port to Switch
-Mario Kart “Home”, an AR-type RC hybrid game
-Mario Bros 35, a “battle royale” online game, kind of like Tetris 99*
-Mario 1 and Lost Levels on Game and Watch device

*everyone knows for everything Nintendo does amazing, they also do weird decisions. In this case, these are only available until end of March 2021

ActRaiser

Re: Mario 35 Anniversary

Postby ActRaiser » September 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

Yeah, I'm not so sure on the whole "limited availability" stuff. That feels like an open invitation for scalpers to buy up large quantities based on creating artificial demand. Gee, thanks Nintendo.

The RC cars looks kind of cool. I'm guessing you'll need two Switches for both Mario and Luigi. For some reason I doubt they'll let you do split screen but I could be wrong.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 3rd, 2020, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up. This is the full rundown of the products for more details:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detai ... me-events/

Some interesting stuff in there.

The Super Mario Bros. 35 "battle royale" game sounds fun to play.. but it's a digital game and completely stops working on March 31, 2021. Kind of sad to think about. If it's a great game, and people have fun with it, too bad... it cannot be played at all and will be gone forever on March 31.. Getting harder and harder to preserve games these days.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm

I'm not really sure why they are making this a limited release. I guess it sort of makes sense to do it for physical, but for the digital version to expire after a certain date is stupid.

I didn't really plan on getting it, but I have a lot of gift cards left, so I may get it if I see it. I didn't particularly like sunshine, but I still want to try and like it.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » September 27th, 2020, 5:57 pm

The limited run, and even more limited physical run, of games like 3D all stars are perfect examples of what has really turned me off from Nintendo. I may soon consider myself some kind of PC gamer( :shock: ) at this rate.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 28th, 2020, 11:35 am

CharlieR wrote:I'm not really sure why they are making this a limited release. I guess it sort of makes sense to do it for physical, but for the digital version to expire after a certain date is stupid.

I didn't really plan on getting it, but I have a lot of gift cards left, so I may get it if I see it. I didn't particularly like sunshine, but I still want to try and like it.

Same reason they made the All-Stars Wii disc a limited release. Mind you, I have no clear idea what that reason is, and found it rather amusing that they had to make a second major run of said release.

I received a physical copy of Mario 35th All-Stars this weekend, and have to say, I've mixed feelings. While I enjoy Mario 3D games, knowing that these are adaptations and not ports makes me eye all of the oddities I experience with a critical eye. Mario 64 has some control quirks I don't recall, though I was surprised by how much of the game I recalled in error (thinking of the DS release's maps instead of the original's maps, such as Whomp's Fortress). I never really played Mario Sunshine on the Cube, and am VERY annoyed that I do not see any options to invert the targeting controls. That, and I seem to do a jump spin without meaning to.

Mario Galaxy is the highlight for me, as I can finally play this with (mostly) a conventional set-up. I play on a Switch Lite, and being able to enjoy this is great. There are some gripes, namely that my jumps are never where I think they should go (some of these are due to gravity gimmick, but others are questionable), and having to use the touch screen to substitute for the pointer control is a horrible idea once you are in a level and have to use the Blue Magnetic Line Stars in a hurry. In an early level I ran into this, and dread the later levels where time and precision is on the line...

Still, a collection of 3 classics, though why Galaxy 2 was omitted is beyond me. If only they had also included the 2D All-Stars on this, this would be perfect.

(BTW, the soundtracks mentioned are digital versions of previous albums, and are good quality inclusions, in case anyone is curious)

Voor

Postby Voor » September 28th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I was tempted myself, but after watching a couple of hours of other people play it, I decided i was OK to let it rest with nostalgia and work on things that are new to me. That inability to invert is a deal breaker for me.

Only thing I’m interested in at the moment is the new Hyrule Warriors

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 29th, 2020, 12:43 am

Funny to see Super Mario Sunshine on the All-Star collection. 20 years later and the thought of SMS still makes me want to jump off a cliff. I bought the Gamecube for that game and tried so hard to like it, but it bored me to death. IMO, change the main character's name to "Spario" and the game would be long-forgotten as a frustrating gimmicky platformer not worth wasting 10 minutes to play. But throw blue overalls on the guy and call him Mario and it gets 9.5 scores all around... :shrugs: .. I stuck with it as long as I could, but that's the only Mario game I ever had to quit.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 29th, 2020, 8:25 am

I was just about to post about if it sunshine had any other character in it as the main protagonist, it probably would not have been as well-received... so great minds think alike. I wonder what would happen if if it was an entry in the Sonic series?

I just started replaying it on this collection, so we will see if my opinion changes. I've owned it a few times for the gamecube but could never get into it. I wanted to like it, since it is part of the main Mario series, but it just wasn't really that fun. I just remember thinking everything felt like a chore, and it just didn't feel like a Mario game.

What I find really interesting is that some people say this is their favorite 3d Mario game. Really? Better than 64, either of the galaxy games, or 3d world? I guess people like the exploration, the turbo nozzle, etc. I just don't see it.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » September 29th, 2020, 9:55 am

CharlieR wrote:I was just about to post about if it sunshine had any other character in it as the main protagonist, it probably would not have been as well-received... so great minds think alike. I wonder what would happen if if it was an entry in the Sonic series?

I just started replaying it on this collection, so we will see if my opinion changes. I've owned it a few times for the gamecube but could never get into it. I wanted to like it, since it is part of the main Mario series, but it just wasn't really that fun. I just remember thinking everything felt like a chore, and it just didn't feel like a Mario game.

What I find really interesting is that some people say this is their favorite 3d Mario game. Really? Better than 64, either of the galaxy games, or 3d world? I guess people like the exploration, the turbo nozzle, etc. I just don't see it.

I'd say I prefer Sunshine over 64 because 64's level design is for the most part either generic, simplistic, plain bad, or just not very memorable at all. 64 also has a bunch of Stars that just feel like filler that wasn't thought through, hence why in the DS remake some of them were removed (yes, removed. It might have 150 stars, but it did remove some of 64's lesser content as well).

64's remembered well for its controls and its early "free-roaming" aspect, but beyond that, the levels aren't really all that great themselves overall. That's not to say there aren't good ones, but they're drowned in a sea of okay/mediocre.

You'll find me dead in the water before you hear me say that Dire Dire Docks is a good world, it's a freaking chore to go from the start of the level to the submarine area pretty much every time. It'd be something if it had any challenge to it, but you just swim straight for nearly a minute to get half of the stars in that world, and the rest aren't all that much more involved.

However, I'll admit that while Sunshine's main content is great, the 100% is 200% not worth it. The blue coins are terribly implemented, and there are a few duds too. I can see why some people don't like some of the gimmicky missions, but I'd at least say it gives the game more personality, and 64 could've used some of that too to make it less plain.

Return to “Video Games General”