2020/10/2: PSP: MediEvil Resurrection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/2: PSP: MediEvil Resurrection

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2020, 4:30 pm

This isn't the most exciting review but at least it's seasonally correct. Give it a try if you haven't played the PS1 games.

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/10/2: PSP: MediEvil Resurrection

Postby Retro STrife » October 2nd, 2020, 5:38 pm

When you say it's a reimagining, did they remix the levels and whatnot? Or just put shiny paint on it?

Medievil is one of those games I can't like no matter how hard I keep trying. Sony's marketing team really pushed that game back in 1998. I tried demos back then and it just didn't interested me. Fast forward to retro gaming on the PS1 and I decided to buy the game 5 years ago or so. I gave it a fair shot, but came away disappointed and quit early on. Then you re-reviewed the game in 2018 and it inspired me, again, to give the game another shot. I played it for an hour or so that time. Same result- I decided to quit it again. Now I see this review and suddenly wonder about playing the game again..

And that's the problem!... This game really messes with my head. The thing with Medievil is that its gameplay is like the poster-child for mediocre/average games -- like you could literally slap a Medievil screenshot right next to "C" in the VGC Rating Dictionary -- and yet it has just enough personality that every couple years I can convince myself I was wrong and need to give it another shot!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2020, 6:46 pm

I think it's safe to say it's more of a remix than a copy. The game feels a little different and there are new enemies, like the guys running around in pillories. I had to look up the name for those things!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 2nd, 2020, 8:49 pm

Fun Fact about this game: The Grim Reaper is voiced by Tom Baker! The same Tom Baker who was the 4th Doctor Who, and it fits him like a glove!

I also liked the dragon for his talks "Oh don't tell me you're on a quest aren't you?" "Oh no no no no no my dear boy, that sounds atrocious!"

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 4th, 2020, 7:58 am

I saw this and was not interested. Though your review makes it seems like one of the better games for a system that never really found its feet. I feel the reason for that was not the software but the way the software was delivered to the system. Yeah, the UMD. The casing was so brittle it would snap and then the game would not be usable.

My gorgeous Sega megadrive/genesis collection fell foul of that I was not not impressed.

Your copy of the SNK classics on the psp looks to be worth $250.. if the ebay listing are anything to go by.

Return to “Review Feedback”