NFL Football

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

Re: NFL Football

Postby matmico399 » October 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Sorry Retrology it's life my friend.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » October 5th, 2020, 3:41 am

matmico399 wrote:Sorry Retrology it's life my friend.

They won though! I mean like what the hell happened in the best way possible. They’re good (for now)!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 5th, 2020, 4:10 am

And they put up nearly 50 points! I'm pretty sure I heard someone say this is the first time they've posted 3 consecutive 30+ points games for 50 years. That's just such a Browns stat - even in the 80s I would've expected them to have at least achieved that.

I'm a Packers fan, but I do have a soft spot for the Browns. I hope this is the start of a period of competitiveness for them - it's long overdue.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » October 5th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I think it's great that the Browns finally have an offense good enough to carry a bad defense. Granted, they're hurt and missing Grant Delpit, Greedy Williams, etc, but it also would've been an anchor in most Browns seasons. That the offense hasn't missed a beat and has gotten them by in shootouts is a huge step in the right direction.

I think Kevin Stefanski might be the guy. It's four games with the Browns so take that how you will but it beats avoiding wins in the first half of the season.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 5th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Being a Cowboys fan, the game ended about how I'd expect it.

There's always next year...

:lol:

jon

Postby jon » October 5th, 2020, 3:06 pm

I’m a Dolphins fan but I feel so bad for Browns fans with what they’ve had to go through. They’ve never made a Super Bowl and weren’t a really good team since the 80’s. I was rooting for them big time against the Cowboys and they’re 3-1. I’d love to see them be a great team.

jon

Postby jon » January 9th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I’m not crazy about this playoff expansion to 7 teams each conference. I thought the old way or 6 teams and 2 teams with first round byes was perfect. Now everyone’s basically a wild card team. I know it’s so more fans have teams in the playoffs but it just seems too much.

Maybe if a division winner has a losing record they shouldn’t make the playoffs. It’s so weird that 11-5 Tampa Bay is playing at Washington who’s 7-9.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 9th, 2021, 2:18 pm

jon wrote:Maybe if a division winner has a losing record they shouldn’t make the playoffs. It’s so weird that 11-5 Tampa Bay is playing at Washington who’s 7-9.

This.

It blows me away that such a superior team (record wise anyway) has to travel and play as a visitor to a team with a losing record. One of the reasons I always enjoyed the NFL and ignored the NHL and NBA is because over HALF of those teams end up making it to the post season. It just feels like instead of letting the superior teams rise to the top, it's more like just allowing the flotsam to sink to the bottom.

I was perfectly happy with the number of teams in post-season play in the NFL and always feared they'd start to dilute it by adding slots in the name of ratings and profits... well, income. The NFL is a non-profit company, technically :-) And now they have. Granted, it's just one for now but I sort of think this is just the toe in the water and going forward they will add a few more.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 9th, 2021, 4:16 pm

I have supported the New York Jets for the last 34 years. When Gridiron became popular in the UK we picked our teams. I picked the Jets. That year Ken O'Brien was playing so well. They were a great team. To this day I support them. We had a miserable season but we won 2 games and for me it is such a great season.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2021, 8:19 am

Sounds like the winning/losing record thing can be rectified pretty easily - team with the better record gets home field. I don't know why the NFL has to make things so complicated.

Speaking of which, they still have that stupid "continuation" notion in the rules that I positively HATE. Last night I was watching the Tampa Bay/Washington game and a receiver caught the ball on one side of the end zone, stepped in with one foot and dragged the other while holding the ball. Looked very cut and dry.

On REPLAY however it showed the receiver bobbling the ball AFTER he was out of bounds. They didn't overturn it, from from the video evidence they certainly could have. It seems to me that once you meet the criteria for a touchdown, what happens afterward should not matter. Maintaining control out of the end zone - especially "going to the ground" should not even be a consideration.

In fact, I'd like to know what idiot instantiated these esoteric rules to begin with. It didn't always used to be like that.

Return to “Other Media”