Scariest video game moments/enemies for you

General and high profile video game topics.
Zack Burner

Scariest video game moments/enemies for you

Postby Zack Burner » October 4th, 2020, 6:56 am

Even in non-horror games there's sure to be some enemy or moment in a VG that has given us nightmares. I'll start:

- Metroid Fusion - the SA-X, those pupilless eyes staring at you the moment it first appears and how it pursues Samus throughout, until you're strong enough to face it.
- Castlevania 64 - The hedgemaze scene with the stone dogs and chainsaw Frankenstein chasing you while following Malus.
- Splatterhouse - Rick meets Jennifer who then turns into a hideous monster hearing either "Oh my darling" or "Help me" doesn't help either.
- Earthbound - Giygas himself at the end with the surreal soundtrack, his muttering of "Ness" "I feel good" "I am happy" and other things is pretty disturbing.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - the Dead Hands when they scream as they are about to grab you.
- House of the Dead 2: Strength alone, think of it, a giant zombie with a huge chainsaw chasing you around the colosseum maze.
- Final Fantasy VII - Jenova herself when Cloud first meets her in headless form in the Shinra building, and later the Gi Nattak boss, a ghost with his spine exposed.

Paul Campbell

Re: Scariest video game moments/enemies for you

Postby Paul Campbell » October 6th, 2020, 12:12 am

Hearing a chainsaw in Resident Evil 4.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 6th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Resident Evil 2 has plenty of frightening moments, even today, they haven't lost their edge such moments/enemies include:

- first appearance of the Licker
- Martin turning into a zombie right before your eyes
- The zombified birds breaking through the window
- the hands shooting out of the boarded windows
- Every transformation of William Birkin the last form is easily the most frightening.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 6th, 2020, 4:08 pm

I don't really get scared by games, not even horror ones. One of my goals is to find a game that legitimately scares me someday. That said, there were a couple times when they did get a reaction out of me.

I remember the canyon level from Peter Jackson's King Kong scaring the crap out of teenage me for some reason. All those holes in the walls, knowing some of them have centipedes inside and others don't. What's a guy to do? Turn a ten minute level into an hour and a half slog by chucking a spear into every single hole to they can't jumpscare me, obviously.

I also remember getting scared by Dark Souls 1. I discovered the entrance to the catacombs for the first time. I went a little ways down it, and a skeleton comes sprinting out of the darkness at me. For some reason, that freaked me out, despite having fought my way through a dozen skeletons just to get there. I turned and started to run away, then stopped and wondered what the hell was wrong with me, turned back around and killed it...only for it to put itself back together and come at me again.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » October 6th, 2020, 5:30 pm

The first boss in Wolfenstein 3d startled me. You open a door and all of a sudden you have this beast of a guy shouting "I'm coming for you!" while shooting at you. Although in retrospect he may have shouted something in German. It's been awhile. Silent Hill games probably would have startled me more if I wasn't so reliant on walkthroughs for it.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 6th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:The first boss in Wolfenstein 3d startled me. You open a door and all of a sudden you have this beast of a guy shouting "I'm coming for you!" while shooting at you. Although in retrospect he may have shouted something in German. It's been awhile. Silent Hill games probably would have startled me more if I wasn't so reliant on walkthroughs for it.

Want a jump scare? Try the Clock Tower series. All of them have that effect on you whether it's the scissorman in the PS or rare Japan only SNES version, or even the big Sledgehammer or even Corroder in the 3rd game.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Halo

When the Flood first start to attack. That scared the bejesus out of me.

Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox. Playing that with surround sound spooked me to no end.

Resident Evil when the dogs jump through the window. Even knowing it was coming still makes me jump.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » October 6th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Zack Burner wrote:
Luigi & Peach wrote:The first boss in Wolfenstein 3d startled me. You open a door and all of a sudden you have this beast of a guy shouting "I'm coming for you!" while shooting at you. Although in retrospect he may have shouted something in German. It's been awhile. Silent Hill games probably would have startled me more if I wasn't so reliant on walkthroughs for it.

Want a jump scare? Try the Clock Tower series. All of them have that effect on you whether it's the scissorman in the PS or rare Japan only SNES version, or even the big Sledgehammer or even Corroder in the 3rd game.

I forgot about that game. Playing Clock Tower 3 even with the walkthrough had me on edge the entire game. The whole concept of being chased at anytime was very intense.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 7th, 2020, 5:49 am

This is a cool thread and well timed to boot.
One of my scariest gaming moments is from the original Bioshock game. What's strange is that it's not from interacting with one of the main characters or those 'Big Daddy' enemies. I don't remeber the story well but there are many characters in the world that have gone mad.
I was searching an area for supplies and came across a toilet block that was flooded and the ceiling lighting was damaged resulting in areas being partially lit. A wall dividing the showers from the rest of the bathroom caused greater darkness in that area. Approaching from the side, I had one of those uncanny moments where your subconscious sets off an alarm making you aware of imminent danger. A shadow, in the vague shape of a head, was cast against the wall. With barely any time to process what was going on a screaming humanoid raced out of the shadows intending to kill me. This is the only time in nearly thirty years of gaming that I have literally jumped out of my seat when playing!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 7th, 2020, 7:47 am

Who's to say that old school games don't have frightening foes? If any of you played Ghostbusters on Sega Genesis, you'll remember the final boss Janna. She looks frightening enough and (1st phase only) throws what looks like a beating human heart at you. The 2nd phase her face turns from hideous green to a skull and floats around. The elephant skull torso with eyes still creeps me out today.
Janna ghostbusters.jpeg
Janna ghostbusters.jpeg (16.89 KiB) Viewed 703 times

Return to “Video Games General”