RIP Eddie Van Halen

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gleebergloben123

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 6th, 2020, 2:57 pm

He was only 65. Great guitarist and one colorful dude.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: RIP Eddie Van Halen

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 6th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Besides his excellent guitar playing, I always appreciated the fact that he looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself on stage. Always a big smile. It made the music fun.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 6th, 2020, 11:55 pm

I was listening to Diver Down on the way to work this morning. God, this sucks.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 7th, 2020, 11:13 am

5150 was such a good album. I always thought they took it to the next level with Hagar. Fantastic band. Fantastic talent. Changed the way guitar is played. Also, I saw them live in London and they were amazing. The right here right now tour.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 7th, 2020, 11:14 am

Stalvern wrote:I was listening to Diver Down on the way to work this morning. God, this sucks.

Another fantastic album. Cathedral and Intruder.

Steve

Postby Steve » October 7th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Indeed a sad day and very unexpected. One album that flies under the radar is Star Fleet Project released under Brian May and Friends back in 1983. I remember buying the album upon release and about 5 years ago, bought the CD from Japan. All the songs have excellent guitar playing from both and their styles are obvious. While the vocals on two of the tracks are just ok, the song Bluesbreakers is really worth checking out

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 8th, 2020, 4:52 am

I love Van Halen, it is part of the soundtrack of my youth. I was never a big fan of the Sammy Hagar days but 5150 was pretty good. It doesn't get any better then VH I and VH II for me, terrific rock albums. This news totally sucked!

charlie

Postby charlie » October 8th, 2020, 6:32 am

Steve wrote:Indeed a sad day and very unexpected. One album that flies under the radar is Star Fleet Project released under Brian May and Friends back in 1983. I remember buying the album upon release and about 5 years ago, bought the CD from Japan. All the songs have excellent guitar playing from both and their styles are obvious. While the vocals on two of the tracks are just ok, the song Bluesbreakers is really worth checking out

Cool song, thanks for the recommendation!

It lead me to this Star Fleet video, something like an odd precursor to Team America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UypAOUMXk

Tron

Postby Tron » October 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm

65 is a senior citizen. For a rock star that’s like 90 for everyday nobody’s. What’s with people takin so dang long to die nowadays. Being retired fo 40 years is ridiculous. Also I never liked Van Halen. Music sucks. Best song was the clear Pepsi song and that wasn’t even very good.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » October 29th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Steve wrote:Indeed a sad day and very unexpected. One album that flies under the radar is Star Fleet Project released under Brian May and Friends back in 1983. I remember buying the album upon release and about 5 years ago, bought the CD from Japan. All the songs have excellent guitar playing from both and their styles are obvious. While the vocals on two of the tracks are just ok, the song Bluesbreakers is really worth checking out

Being a Star Trek fan, this album cover piqued my curiosity when I happened upon it at the local record store a couple years ago. Brian May and Eddie??? Damn, never knew this existed! I must say that I wasn't immediately into it, but the second song on there which is much bluesier is so tasty. Not often you get to hear the best rock n' roll guitarist of all time slinging tasty blues licks.

BlasteroidAli wrote:5150 was such a good album. I always thought they took it to the next level with Hagar. Fantastic band. Fantastic talent. Changed the way guitar is played. Also, I saw them live in London and they were amazing. The right here right now tour.

Fully agreed. I never actually liked the earlier Van Halen until recently as Dave always seemed too clownish for me, like Robert Plant with more and stronger drugs. I own everything they've done now, but the Hagar era was always the most expansive musically. That man can sing like nobody's business!

Whether you like Van Halen or not is irrelevent. Eddie changed the landscape of rock n' roll probably more than any other single human being since the late 70s. He pioneered so many techniques, and did it with such a magical flourish that nobody before or since has been able to accomplish. Never will our planet be graced by such a talent as Eddie. Now if you'll excuse me, the snow on the ground has me hankering for some Cabo Wabo and tequila.

Return to “Other Media”