Analogue Turbo Duo

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Analogue Turbo Duo

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 16th, 2020, 5:45 pm

One of my most valuable systems is my Turbo Duo. I bought it new (!) around the year 2000 for $200 I recall. Now a working system can run over $1000. I'm really worried about the system "going up" on me, especially considering CD drives are prone to breaking. I've already had to send it out for repairs once.

That's what this new Analogue entry caught my eye: a Turbografx/Turbo Duo replace for $200. This may be my first Analogue console.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... bografx-16

Gentlegamer

Re: Analogue Turbo Duo

Postby Gentlegamer » October 16th, 2020, 6:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:One of my most valuable systems is my Turbo Duo. I bought it new (!) around the year 2000 for $200 I recall. Now a working system can run over $1000. I'm really worried about the system "going up" on me, especially considering CD drives are prone to breaking. I've already had to send it out for repairs once.

That's what this new Analogue entry caught my eye: a Turbografx/Turbo Duo replace for $200. This may be my first Analogue console.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... bografx-16

There's also the Super SD System 3, which plugs into the expansion port of TG-16 and allows playing of ROMs and disc images from sdcard.

https://terraonion.com/en/producto/super-sd-system-3/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 17th, 2020, 9:38 am

It just occurred to me that while people will finally be able to get a functional Turbo Duo, they might not be able to afford the games. Seems to me that T16 prices have gone through the roof.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 17th, 2020, 12:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It just occurred to me that while people will finally be able to get a functional Turbo Duo, they might not be able to afford the games. Seems to me that T16 prices have gone through the roof.

Tell me about it. Still makes me lament the fact that I no longer have the TG-16 we had back in the early 90s. My mom sold it along with all the games (for probably next to nothing) to a family friend when I went away to college. We had a pretty decent collection of games too ... Bonk 1 and 2, Splatterhouse, Neutopia, Alien Crush, Legendary Axe, along with several sports games.

When I started looking to re-acquire some of that stuff, probably 10 or so years ago, prices were already pretty high compared to other systems. I foolishly held off hoping prices would actually go down (funny, right?), only to see prices continue to go up and up over the past decade.

Finally, a couple of years ago, I decided to go what was probably the most cost-effective route by buying a PC Engine CoreGrafx and an Everdrive flash cart, which gave me a system with composite output along with virtually the entire hu card library.

I would love to have this Analogue Duo, but I just don't think it would be worth it for me since I don't find the idea of collecting the CD games that appealing. Maybe 10 years ago it would have but not now. I'll just stick with emulation or get the TG-16 Mini.(waiting for the price to drop on that one but probably shouldn't hold my breath.)

And Critic, you should probably sign up to be notified when the Analogue Duo is in stock. They say it will only be available in limited quantities, so they may not last long.

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 17th, 2020, 5:57 pm

I'm definitely ordering one! It's also region free and plays Supergrafx games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 18th, 2020, 12:29 am

Too bad the preorder window will be all of 30 seconds.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 18th, 2020, 9:18 am

Why does it have to be this way? It seems to me that if you're taking the time to craft a specialized system like this, you want to move as many units as possible.

Or is this just a marketing ploy to drum up interest?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 18th, 2020, 9:28 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Why does it have to be this way? It seems to me that if you're taking the time to craft a specialized system like this, you want to move as many units as possible.

Or is this just a marketing ploy to drum up interest?

Such things are made for the collector market; the same people who snatch up LE numbered bootlegs.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 18th, 2020, 10:49 am

Atariboy wrote:Too bad the preorder window will be all of 30 seconds.

Huh, that doesn't make any sense.

You preorder to determine the demand to produce. A short preorder window denies them revenue. In my humble opinion that would be pretty short sighted.

Regardless, it looks awesome.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 19th, 2020, 2:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It just occurred to me that while people will finally be able to get a functional Turbo Duo, they might not be able to afford the games. Seems to me that T16 prices have gone through the roof.

YARP

Return to “Video Games General”