Time Gal in Retro Gamer

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Time Gal in Retro Gamer

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 17th, 2020, 10:05 am

I subscribe to one magazine: Retro Gamer. And I think I do it for the same reason people enjoy coming to this site. The magazine can highlight an obscure game, often long forgotten, and turn it into a fun, two-page celebration.

Time Gal (Sega CD) is an example of one of those game featured in a recent Retro Gamer. The colorful spread features a list of Time Gal's "classic moments" including a wooly mammoth breaking through a glacier as she runs for her life.

It makes me want to pull the game off the shelf (as I should)!

Anybody else play this one?

matmico399

Re: Time Gal in Retro Gamer

Postby matmico399 » October 17th, 2020, 5:42 pm

I did have it back in the '90s but no longer do. I do remember having a blast with this game. Back then I was in my early twenties and had finally acquired a Sega CD. I don't have the game anymore but I reacquired a Sega CD. I do remember I had a blast with it and I don't think many people rented it. It was always available, and I really enjoyed that aspect. Solid game no doubt.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » October 18th, 2020, 3:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I subscribe to one magazine: Retro Gamer. And I think I do it for the same reason people enjoy coming to this site. The magazine can highlight an obscure game, often long forgotten, and turn it into a fun, two-page celebration.

Time Gal (Sega CD) is an example of one of those game featured in a recent Retro Gamer. The colorful spread features a list of Time Gal's "classic moments" including a wooly mammoth breaking through a glacier as she runs for her life.

yup i had it when it came out on the Sega CD..it was ok but i liked Road Avenger better

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 19th, 2020, 10:30 am

The best part of Time Gal was the insane amount of work that went into the Sega CD port. They redrew everything, to work around the system's resolution and color limitations.

It actually looks like a Genesis game, doing impossible things, instead of like a dithered and washed out FMV port like the rest of the Sega CD's animated library.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I subscribe to one magazine: Retro Gamer. And I think I do it for the same reason people enjoy coming to this site. The magazine can highlight an obscure game, often long forgotten, and turn it into a fun, two-page celebration.

Tried it once, interesting to watch, though I've never enjoyed the Dragon's Lair-style games (I am horrible at memorization/rhythm games) when playing, only when watching.

ClassicGeek

Postby ClassicGeek » October 28th, 2020, 5:35 pm

I never had the opportunity to play this. When I did buy a Sega CD way back when, there were two games for it that I wanted: Sewer Shark and Mortal Kombat (despite its atrocious load times). But I always loved Dragon's Lair and from what I've seen of Time Gal, I think I would enjoy that as well.

Return to “Classic Gaming”