2020/10/20: Playstation 4: Resident Evil

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/20: Playstation 4: Resident Evil

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Let me know what you think about my review of this enhanced Resident Evil. I played it off the Resident Evil Origins disc, which also includes Resident Evil 0! Great deal.

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2020/10/20: Playstation 4: Resident Evil

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm

You could see why it became such a hit. Just a game that was a pinnacle when released. Then the amazing gamecube game came out. Such a great and complimentary update of the classic. Something which you do not always get.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 22nd, 2020, 8:00 am

Thanks for the review - I have this one sitting in my PS4 queue and just can't seem to get around to it. Seeing the positive review might help.

Resident Evil: Director's Cut was one of the earliest PS1 games I played, when I was really getting serious into gaming. Liked it so much that I then played through RE2, RE3, and RE: Code Veronica when they came out. Funny enough, RE4 was when my Resident Evil interest died out. I didn't own a GC or PS2 when it came out, so it took me years to play RE4. By the time I did, I only got a few chapters into it before moving on. Haven't played another RE since then.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 23rd, 2020, 5:29 pm

I played RE1 back around 1995. I was blown away by it as I had never seen survival horror before. Then on the PlayStation one I played 2 and 3, not as good as the original but it was still a great time. It was several years probably back in 2008 I picked up RE4 on the PlayStation 2. It has remained my favorite game since. Of all time. Simply amazing. About 5 years ago I got around to picking up a GameCube. I got the remake of resident evil and thought it was a pretty good update although the camera angle still annoyed me. My only thought now is whether the PlayStation 4 version is worth the upgrade over the GameCube version. It sounds great but I'm not sure if it's worth the price and that different. I will view some gameplay on YouTube to decide. Strong review as always.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 23rd, 2020, 8:34 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Thanks for the review - I have this one sitting in my PS4 queue and just can't seem to get around to it. Seeing the positive review might help.

Resident Evil: Director's Cut was one of the earliest PS1 games I played, when I was really getting serious into gaming. Liked it so much that I then played through RE2, RE3, and RE: Code Veronica when they came out. Funny enough, RE4 was when my Resident Evil interest died out. I didn't own a GC or PS2 when it came out, so it took me years to play RE4. By the time I did, I only got a few chapters into it before moving on. Haven't played another RE since then.

You are missing nothing. RE5.. average not scary RE 6 below average not scary.. RE 7 is not RE.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 9:37 am

Inspired by the review, I played about an hour of Resident Evil on PS4 this weekend. I'm mostly playing it for nostalgia sake, since I have good memories of the PS1 game. I tried "Normal" difficulty, but I'm getting my butt kicked, especially with the lack of ammo. I never play on easy, but I might need to do that. I'm sorta just looking to goof around with this game, and pretend like it's 1997 again. I don't need to get mauled by dogs every step I take.. I want to just take it easy and explore. I doubt I'll finish the game anyway; I'm content to just play a few hours.

For laughs, I also hopped on youtube and watched the original opening cutscene and the first 10 minutes of gameplay. Boy, that 90s voice acting was something else...

BlasteroidAli wrote:You are missing nothing. RE5.. average not scary RE 6 below average not scary.. RE 7 is not RE.

I'm with you on that. I have no interest in any RE game after RE4, even if a great new one came out. The genre just isn't for me anymore, even though it used to be.

I'd like to give RE4 another chance someday (maybe) since it is so well regarded. I don't blame the game for me not liking it. It's on me. But then again, I don't think trying it again would help any either.

Return to “Review Feedback”