Loving the Halloween banners

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Loving the Halloween banners

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm

The cropping wasn't quite right but I fixed it.

Now there are three choices.
1. normal banner
2. banner cropped on both sides
3. banner cropped on the right so you can see the VGC logo

https://videogamecritic.com/mobile/index.htm?ex=1

What say you??

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 25th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Ok, that middle banner looks a lot better. In fact I might like that one the best though that Luigi banner still doesn't look quite right with the joystick showing, but I guess that's not a huge deal.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Make sure you refresh a few times because it cycles between three banners at random.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 26th, 2020, 4:25 am

The top banner looks best as it is the whole thing.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 26th, 2020, 8:18 am

Looking at it on my phone I vote middle one and chop off more on the right.
And then double the height of it.

On my phone the height of the examples is about half to a third smaller than your normal mobile edition image. If you compare it to the default mobile edition image you'll see what I mean.

In my humble opinion by cutting off more on the right it will allow you to scale the image up a bit and look a bit better.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 9:19 am

1. Great idea to add the banners to the mobile site. Hard to envision it without them now that we tried it out.

2. Comparing the different versions really makes us take a closer look at the banners and realize the little details in these genius designs by Mark.

3. I've very torn on which looks best! I hate to crop the banners, but they do look better on a phone when they are larger and bolder. I would pick either #2 or #3, with a slight edge to #2.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 26th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm leaning towards #2 as well.
I will admit you can't appreciate the full effect of Mark's genius unless you go to the web site and view the whole banner.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 27th, 2020, 9:50 am

The banners are completely awesome. I access the site for the most part from my PC. On my motorola G7 I get three of the same banner. On my Kindle fire HD 8 I get three of the same banner as well. In Landscape they take up the whole screen. In Portrait, I still get three banners but also get the rest of the mobile site and I do not have to scroll down.

As with most designer stuff. After doing a year of web design I comment a bit more and try it on all of my devices.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 27th, 2020, 6:22 pm

So I took the plunge and modified the program to put the cropped banners on *most* of the mobile pages (the main ones).

Let me know if I messed up anything on the mobile OR full web site!

Also, I noticed a lot of the "special review" pages look pretty messed up on the mobile site. I think it's time for me start going through those and fixing them up, especially since more people seem to be using the mobile site.

Any suggestions about where to begin are welcome.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 27th, 2020, 7:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Also, I noticed a lot of the "special review" pages look pretty messed up on the mobile site. I think it's time for me start going through those and fixing them up, especially since more people seem to be using the mobile site.

Any suggestions about where to begin are welcome.

I thought the logical places to start would be the Christmas or Winter game pages, but both look good on my smartphone.

You've mentioned it before, and you got a reprieve until (at least) April, but you could work on a James Bond Video Game retrospective like the Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Batman, etc, pages.

Return to “Video Games General”