2020/10/25: Playstation 4: Friday the 13th: The Game

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/10/25: Playstation 4: Friday the 13th: The Game

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2020, 10:38 am

Another Halloween game review for your chewing satisfaction. Have at.

crimefighter

Re: 2020/10/25: Playstation 4: Friday the 13th: The Game

Postby crimefighter » October 25th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Most connected offline mode - oxymoron. I would add the online icon.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 25th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Very disappointing to read, but I can understand with the offline online. It's still a wonderful review of the game. My biggest problem is playing Jason. I thought you were going to be one of many camp counselors to escape his fiendish grasp. Playing is Jason it really kills the concept of suspense to me. How fun would it be to see him up popping in Windows while you desperately have to escape. I had a lot of Hope for this but once again it sounds very disappointing. Ugh.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 25th, 2020, 9:20 pm

So why not just play the online multiplayer mode? It's the core of the game? I've seen others play it (muliplayer), and it's seems very good. Would love to hear what you thought of it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 25th, 2020, 9:52 pm

There was a game called Evolve in that game 4 people chase a huge monster. It sounded great but was online only a chore to play. Next up was FF13. I have played it a couple of times online and it is fun. You cannot just run away you have to start cars and hide all of which are fun the first couple of times but then not so much fun. What is good about it is the museum where you can go and look at all things FT13. I spent more time there than I did in the game. The glory kills are fun but I only tried them once.
A D is fair score for it. Plus I agree with the stoopid things they do to get you online.

It is the same game as Dead by Daylight. You either play the murder or the survivors/victims. I found it to be completely tedious. D.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 9:51 am

Glad to see you gave this one a shot! I haven't played the offline single-player mode, so it was an interesting read for me.

matmico399 wrote:My biggest problem is playing Jason. I thought you were going to be one of many camp counselors to escape his fiendish grasp. Playing is Jason it really kills the concept of suspense to me. How fun would it be to see him up popping in Windows while you desperately have to escape. I had a lot of Hope for this but once again it sounds very disappointing. Ugh.

The good news is that you'll get the experience you're looking for if you're up for trying online multiplayer. Forget a computer-controller Jason hunting you down.. how about a real person playing as a super-powered Jason and trying to hunt down and kill 7 counselors before they escape the camp? And you only get 1 life -- so if Jason gets you, you're dead for good. That's what the multiplayer is about, and its cat-and-mouse style of gameplay is incredibly tense.

GTS wrote:So why not just play the online multiplayer mode? It's the core of the game? I've seen others play it (muliplayer), and it's seems very good. Would love to hear what you thought of it.

I was kinda thinking this too as I read along. I know the VGC doesn't do online multiplayer. And that's fine for most games, especially since his console is usually offline. But since the online connection was needed anyway, and multiplayer is the main component of the game, why not hop on multiplayer real quick to test it out?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 9:55 am

By the way, despite the multiplayer mode being the best part of the game, I still think the D- score is pretty on point. I'd give it a little boost, but not much.

In online multiplayer, one player controls Jason and up to 7 other people play as the counselors. As Jason, your goal is to track down the counselors and kill them one by one. As the counselors, your goal is to avoid Jason and survive, usually by finding a way to escape the campground (the counselors can also kill Jason, but that is pretty difficult and requires a huge team effort). You only get one life - no respawns. I played a few games as the counselors and it was interesting to work together to escape, while feeling the constant tension of thinking Jason might be just nearby. Exploring the cabins gives me that same creepy feeling of exploring cabins in the old NES game, wondering if Jason will be there. After that, I played one game as Jason and that was WAY more fun. I only killed 2 counselors.. but still, tracking them down, having them run from me, hearing actual tension in real people's voice over the PS4 mic while I'm about to kill them and calling out to the other counselors for help.. In my favorite moment, 5 counselors barricaded themselves in a cabin and I went around smashing the windows so they couldn't escape through them, and then I smashed in through their barricaded front door with my axe and started attacking them all as they tried to escape through the door - all the while hearing them yelling things like "oh no he's here" and "what do we do?" These are real people yelling this to their teammates over their PS4 headset. You really feel like Jason for a moment.

Despite my positive spin, it's probably just a C or D range game. I wish the controls were better (they're complicated and melee sucks) and I wish there was more replay value (you'll get bored after several hours, at most). But despite that, it's such a unique experience that it's well worth trying, even if just for a few hours.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 26th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I think in order to play against real people it's not enough to just be online; you had to log into Playstation Plus.

I wasn't about to buy a subscription just for this game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think in order to play against real people it's not enough to just be online; you had to log into Playstation Plus.

I wasn't about to buy a subscription just for this game.

Ahh, good point - I hadn't thought of that. You're right, you do need PS+ in order to play the game's online multiplayer.

Well, if anyone is curious about the online, I try to summarize it above. It's actually very cool, and I'm glad I got to try it out, but I don't think that actually translates into it being "good". So I agree with your D range score; it seems on point and fair to me.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 4th, 2022, 11:31 pm

This being the macabre season, I decided to give this game another go. The reason why you do not play online is that virtually no one is playing it. It does really feel like Friday the 13th. It is still good fun. I like it more than I did when I first started playing it. Probably for me it is up to a C.

Return to “Review Feedback”