Biggest Sports Disappointments

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Robotrek

Re: Biggest Sports Disappointments

Postby Robotrek » October 20th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Voor wrote:^^^are we headed there again? Tennessee looks mighty good, and Ravens seem to struggle if they get in a hole. Oh, and you have those pesky chiefs to contend with too.

I find it funny that 3 of 4 of Lamar's career losses are all to the same team.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 21st, 2020, 2:37 am

You guys who aren't from St. Louis will never know the humiliating pain of watching The Greatest Show on Turf collapse into 15 years of nothing.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » October 22nd, 2020, 4:08 am

Most recent one would be losing Wentz early in the first quarter to an awful cheapshot by that degenerate clowney and to add insult to injury not even a flag was thrown.
The NFL administration is a joke.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 22nd, 2020, 5:50 pm

The Atlanta Falcons losing to the Patriots in the super bowl. Up 28 to 3 at halftime. Enough said, crushing.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 23rd, 2020, 3:12 am

Are we talking moments that were disappointing or teams/players that underachieved and became disappointments?

If it's the latter, a more recent example I can think of is the 2018 Steelers. A team with heaps of talent that just couldn't stop the endless drama off the field. Most of their wins were against poorer teams with last minute flukes and final possession game winning drives. They were 7-2-1 in full control of the AFC North and imploded in the final third of the season to finish 9-6-1, finishing 2nd behind the Ravens (who at one point were 4-5) and missing a WildCard spot.

The Steelers are one of my least favourite teams and at the time I found them more inherently unlikeable than the Pats - so, naturally, I thought it was hilarious. I'm sure Steelers fans were disappointed, though. :P

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » October 26th, 2020, 4:01 pm

The Orioles in the 2014 ALCS. They had good hitting and decent pitching throughout the year, but it seemed like Kansas City had an answer for everything.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm

That ending the other night during Game 4 of the World Series was pretty disappointing if you were a Dodgers fan.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » October 27th, 2020, 8:00 pm

I'm a Lions fan.

They have won 1 playoff game since 1957.

When I was 10, I was hopeful. I couldn't understand why "old people" (over 40) would make fun of the Lions or say they'll never win. Once, my friend's father told me that he'd "probably die before they win a title". That was 40 years ago, he's dead now. I'm near 50 years old now. I'm saying the things now to my kids now that my friend's father (and many others) said to me when I was 10.

The concept of a Super Bowl appearance is like fiction to a Lions fan. It doesn't really exist and if it did, it's meant for other people.

A disappointment isn't a moment or a game for a Lions fan, it's a lifetime expectation.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 27th, 2020, 9:23 pm

^^^i worry that Stafford’s window will close with nothing to show for it.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 27th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Being a Pirates fan in the post-Barry Bonds era has been pretty disappointing. It was even more frustrating in some ways when McCutchen blossomed into an MVP-caliber player and we could never quite put it together when the window was open, although it was refreshing to have a few years when we weren't out of the playoff race by the All-Star break. I'm happy Charlie Morton at least got to taste success with the Astros - even Ryan Vogelsong somehow came back and got a ring with the Giants. At least PNC Park is still a nice place to see a game.

Return to “Other Media”