Fixing up the Mobile Site

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Fixing up the Mobile Site

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 31st, 2020, 12:20 pm

Okay, as far as getting the mobile site to use the full width of your device, I need some guidance. What are you seeing exactly?

When I look in my Chrome debugger it looks fine. Although the screen widths are set to 600, when I expand the screen the content is adjusting to fill the space.

I really want to make sure the mobile site looks good for everyone.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 1st, 2020, 12:18 pm

I use a Samsung Galaxy 7. On the main page, I have to scroll right to view the entire screenshot of the recently reviewed games. I did go back through the Halloween reviews and that looked great though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 1st, 2020, 2:30 pm

So are you saying the screenshots are too big for your screen, or are they pushed off to the right side?

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm

They're too big for the screen.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 1st, 2020, 5:35 pm

Same here. Galaxy S20 and the pictures are too big for the screen. I have to scroll right to see the entire picture.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 1st, 2020, 6:48 pm

Okay apparent the Galaxy 7 is only 360 pixels wide. I had assumed everybody had 600px to work with.
So what I'm going to do is rework the mobile pages so it uses percentages instead of pixel values to size the screenshots.
Hopefully I'll have something for you guys to try this week.
Thanks again for the feedback!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 1st, 2020, 7:07 pm

I'm working on this now but have a few questions for the mobile site users.

On the review pages, I was going to make the screenshots 50% the width of the screen, but they are looking too small. So maybe I should just make them 100% wide, with the review text below?

Another thing is that you get that "wall of text" effect on the small screen. Would it be okay if I made the font smaller on the mobile site?

Please advise!

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 1st, 2020, 11:06 pm

If the wall of text is a worry, I'd prefer to have one paragraph break in the reviews rather than smaller font. But the pictures look to be a good size to me. I was looking through Genesis reviews, in case that helps you.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » November 2nd, 2020, 4:43 am

VGC - here is a resource to test to display your website as it appears on various mobile devices:

https://mobilemoxie.com/tools/mobile-page-test/

Hope this helps.

Terry

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 2nd, 2020, 8:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm working on this now but have a few questions for the mobile site users.

On the review pages, I was going to make the screenshots 50% the width of the screen, but they are looking too small. So maybe I should just make them 100% wide, with the review text below?

Another thing is that you get that "wall of text" effect on the small screen. Would it be okay if I made the font smaller on the mobile site?

Please advise!

+1 vote for keeping the font larger. It was super painful before the mobile site reading reviews when the text wrapped around images and then you had to zoom in anyways. You'd have to scroll over to the right and then back down, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”