Playstation 5 Preview

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Playstation 5 Preview

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I was just reading this Playstation 5 preview.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/ ... an-a-leap/

Can't say I'm super impressed. The thing is a beast, and the controller looks pretty much the same except a new color scheme. Don't know why they are sticking with the big touchpad since it's never been anything but a glorified button.

I do like the idea of having games that start up quickly. It might be the system's defining feature. Especially considering the graphics don't appear to be a big step up.

The 667 GB of storage sounds good, but there's one problem. The games are getting bigger and bigger because the publishers have to incentive to keep them small. I suspect that storage will fill up pretty fast.

I can definitely see myself picking up a PS5 at some point but you won't find me camping out for out. Thoughts?

matmico399

Re: Playstation 5 Preview

Postby matmico399 » November 6th, 2020, 5:21 pm

I would definitely like to pick up a PS5. But I will wait a couple of years until the price drops and I hear the pros and cons of the system. Just what I have always done.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 6th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Maybe someday, but there's a better chance I spend that $500 on a bunch of retro games, a turbografx or jaguar cd, or something. I may be done with new consoles - there's so much I already have on my shelves that I haven't explored, and so much retro I haven't yet bought, that the new generation holds very little appeal.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Breaker wrote:Maybe someday, but there's a better chance I spend that $500 on a bunch of retro games, a turbografx or jaguar cd, or something. I may be done with new consoles - there's so much I already have on my shelves that I haven't explored, and so much retro I haven't yet bought, that the new generation holds very little appeal.

Breaker,
You just pointed out something great about classic gaming, and that is, there's SO MUCH OF IT!
Glad physical media was around as long as it was!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 7th, 2020, 10:06 am

I will definitely get a PS5, in a year or two. Right now I am enjoying my PS4, it is my "go to" modern gaming console. My daughter has full control of the Switch (Animal Crossing) and I can't remember the last time I played my Xbox One. All that said, I am definitely skipping the Xbox X (is that what it is called?) because Microsoft just has not done enough for its exclusive games. In my opinion, there is really no point of owning both.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » November 7th, 2020, 10:48 am

Digital Foundry did some recent videos of the PS5 and how well it plays PS4 games via backwards compatibility, and also a tech and graphics based feature on the new Miles Moralis Spidey game. I could finally see what Ray tracing brings to a game, basically accurate window and puddle reflections instead of the already fine cube-map approximization method. The draw distance is pushed way back in Spidey too. But the real benefits are the smooth and perfect frames rates , even on bc PS4 titles, and almost cartridge speeds with the load times.

This is all fine and probably in 2 years I may upgrade, but I'm still loving my PS4 as my newest console. 2 years in, and I'm still enjoying Dirt 4 for example. I hope the PS5 is a quiet system. My PS4 slim is super quiet, but the PS4 pro is often stated to have super annoyingly loud fan noise, which I would hate.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 8th, 2020, 2:41 pm

All signs are pointing to PS5 to be a disaster, in my opinion. Definitely not a system you want at launch.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » November 8th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:All signs are pointing to PS5 to be a disaster, in my opinion. Definitely not a system you want at launch.

The thermals are a bit worrisome given Sony’s need to boost up the clock rates to get theoretical numbers that are competitive with Microsoft’s. I’d have some RROD worries.

Count me in the don’t care too much camp. Initially I considered the PS5 until I saw Sony’s half baked backwards compatibility.

I plan on picking up a used One X for hopefully under $200 once people start eBaying systems to pay for their upgrade.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » November 8th, 2020, 5:54 pm

I’m definetly looking forward to Ps5 ,
However I’m not grabbing one up right
Away . I’ll wait a bit and as I always do when
A new system comes out !

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 8th, 2020, 6:15 pm

If I have to install the games, I might as well get a PC. There are guides for ~$500 gaming PC builds, which might be fun to try.

Still, for years I’ve wanted ray-traced graphics. Don’t know if a low-end gaming PC could do that yet.

Ah well, I rarely have time to game anyways. And I have neither the patience nor the bandwidth for updates.

Return to “Video Games General”