2020/11/4: Odyssey 2: Armored Encounter/Sub Chase

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/11/4: Odyssey 2: Armored Encounter/Sub Chase

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2020, 4:06 pm

So my initial review of this cartridge was fairly shallow (and harshly graded with an F) so a reader wrote it and intelligently explained why it deserved much better.

Well it took many years to finally rectify the situation but I think this review does the game justice. I just hope that reader is still out there somewhere. If not, may God rest his soul!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2020/11/4: Odyssey 2: Armored Encounter/Sub Chase

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2020, 3:52 pm

I did hear back from the reader! Turns out he just emailed me in August, so it didn't take years after all!

goldenband

Re: 2020/11/4: Odyssey 2: Armored EncounHter/Sub Chase

Postby goldenband » November 6th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Hey, always glad to see a re-appraisal like this, and any new Odyssey² content is a welcome development in my book! Haven't played this one much but it sounds like it does have some nice touches to differentiate it from Combat.

By the way, I just reread (and enjoyed) your Super Cobra review. It's very much on the same wavelength as another reviewer whose video I just watched, and which also appreciated the game on its own, interesting merits. It's almost like a sort of puzzle game in its way.

I still hope you do Conquest of the World sometime. That one's an odd duck to say the least!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2020, 6:31 pm

I will actually be reviewing all three of the board games soon, having recently acquired The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt to complete the set!

jake3492

Postby jake3492 » November 7th, 2020, 11:58 pm

Regarding Conquest of the World, the Board game is pretty atrocious. About as fun as social studies class with a bad teacher... But as a kid I had a lot of fun playing with a friend just having subs, planes, and tanks fight it out. A refreshing change from Combat where it was just tanks v. tanks or planes v. planes...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 8th, 2020, 7:38 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I will actually be reviewing all three of the board games soon, having recently acquired The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt to complete the set!

Awesome. That's great news! I've never actually played The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt and there's very little about it online, so I'll be very interested to read about your experience. It seems quite ambitious, that's for sure.
jake3492 wrote:Regarding Conquest of the World, the Board game is pretty atrocious. About as fun as social studies class with a bad teacher... But as a kid I had a lot of fun playing with a friend just having subs, planes, and tanks fight it out. A refreshing change from Combat where it was just tanks v. tanks or planes v. planes...

That's not far from my own experience. I played it with my wife, who's up to give most games a shot, and her reaction to Conquest of the World -- as a board game hybrid, anyway -- was the reaction of a person who's having no fun whatsoever. :D

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » November 8th, 2020, 7:59 am

goldenband wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I will actually be reviewing all three of the board games soon, having recently acquired The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt to complete the set!

Awesome. That's great news! I've never actually played The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt and there's very little about it online, so I'll be very interested to read about your experience. It seems quite ambitious, that's for sure.

I too shall look forward to these reviews as there is little info out there about them. I would guess that perhaps The Great Wall Street Fortune Hunt was targeting the parents to lure them towards the O2 and show them that it was more than a kids' toy.

Return to “Review Feedback”