Link Underlines

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Link Underlines

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 8th, 2020, 7:59 pm

So a lot of people tell me I have a site that looks like it was from the 1990's or whatever. Lately it occurred to me one of the reasons. My links are underlined, which USED to be the standard for links. Now, not so much.

So that's not too hard to turn off. I got rid of the underlines but I think the links are still distinctive enough in their light green color. I think it makes the site look cleaner. Let me know what you think!

pacman000

Re: Link Underlines

Postby pacman000 » November 9th, 2020, 8:04 am

I liked the underlines.

I'd say the font choice & color scheme date the site more than the underlined links. I might also say the layout 's a bit dated, & the starry background was dated when you chose it; someone even said it looked like something from GeoCities, if I remember correctly. And no modern site has dozens of reviews on each page; each review is given it's own page, preferable with a comment system by Discuss or Facebook.

I like your site. It's well organized. The layout is simple & easy to understand. The site loads quickly. I don't go to newer gaming sites very often because they're so bloated & slow. Webfonts? I don't want to load an entire font to view a website! Javascript? This is a page displaying text & pictures! The web was already designed to do that! You don't need to create a program! You just need to create an article with some style & layout information! Your layout was basically standard from 1999-2010, when most sites started hiding their menus behind hamburger icons, for mobile users.

Your mobile site looks like something from 1996. I like it even better, for it is even simpler. A well-organized hierarchy is hard to do.

Gentlegamer

Re: Link Underlines

Postby Gentlegamer » November 9th, 2020, 11:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So a lot of people tell me I have a site that looks like it was from the 1990's or whatever. Lately it occurred to me one of the reasons. My links are underlined, which USED to be the standard for links. Now, not so much.

So that's not too hard to turn off. I got rid of the underlines but I think the links are still distinctive enough in their light green color. I think it makes the site look cleaner. Let me know what you think!

This is a "retro" site, so it is appropriate.

Return to “Video Games General”