Pick a random game

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Pick a random game

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2020, 9:59 am

I want you all to randomly pick a game out of your collection, play it and report back.

My selection? Truxton for the Sega Genesis. It's vertical shooter with plenty of firepower but repetitive environments and a cheesy special weapon (skull flashes the screen). The sound effects are pretty cruddy. I gave this an A-? I may have to revisit that one...

Your turn!

Luigi & Peach

Re: Pick a random game

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 11th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Just played a couple rounds of Alien Storm with my daughter from the XBOX 360 Genesis collection. Never played this game before. Pretty simplistic, but definitely challenging. Would be good for brief gaming sessions (a la Golden Axe).

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » November 11th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Stampede for Intellivision..........how in the heck does this game have a collective grade of an "A" by 56 voters??!?!?

Interesting for a minute, then the realization overcame me that this is the whole game? I am now going back downstairs to play some Super Chef BT and Slam Dunk - two true grade A games.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 11th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Mine would be Looney Tunes B-Ball, fun energetic game with some of your favorite Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Wile E. Coyote, Marvin, and Taz. Just make sure you keep the wackiness at 3 instead of 5 or you won't have much of a chance of winning. The graphics and sound are pitch perfect and the gameplay could give NBA Jam a run for its money.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I pulled out Cyborg Justice on the Genesis.

The game is a sidescrolling fighter in the vein of Double Dragon. You can create a robot and you go through the levels fighting other robots. I like that you can pull limbs off of opponents but I do not like the moves being difficult to execute, with timing and hit boxes all over the place and thus hit detection hindering the gameplay. The graphics are okay but the music is possibly the worst I have heard in a Genesis game outside of perhaps Marble Madness. The game had potential but it is typical western developed crap from the early 90's. It is worth a D-, props for it being slightly zany.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Bubble Bobble (arcade)

My daughter and I have been having fun playing two-player co-op. She gets to be a pink dinosaur and tries to get to the top of the screen. As a green, yellow, or blue dino I try to kill all the enemies by blowing bubbles on them. Once they are encased in bubbles you get to pop-up them for points. Every few levels a boss makes an appearance. The best part is my 4 year old gets to have fun being a pink dinosaur. I get a bit bored but she still seems to enjoy it, and that's all that matters.

It gets a solid C from me. A quarter can last a pretty good length of time (or in this case a single press of a button).

DocHix

Postby DocHix » November 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm

"Tron Deadly Discs" for Atari 2600...

M-Network port of the Intellivision title, based on the '82 Disney movie. Essentially, a game of 3 V 1 Death Frisbee. Lacks the "Recognizer" boss and disc blocking function of the Intellivision original...and the graphics are awfully simple even by 2600 standards...but the game is still fun and later levels become pretty challenging. If you try it, remember that you can recall your disc if you miss a shot by pushing the fire button a second time. Bonus points to you if you play it with the blue M-Network "Tron" joystick!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 11th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Haha, I'll have to give this one a shot with a random game later. Next time you might even add that it should be a game you haven't reviewed yet.. we might find some hidden gems!

Teddybear wrote:Stampede for Intellivision..........how in the heck does this game have a collective grade of an "A" by 56 voters??!?!?

Interesting for a minute, then the realization overcame me that this is the whole game? I am now going back downstairs to play some Super Chef BT and Slam Dunk - two true grade A games.

Love Stampede! Definitely an A game for me. I mean, it's not like any games were overly complex back during that era. But as an arcade-style game playing for points, I've always found Stampede fun and challenging.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 11th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Alien 3 on the Sega Genesis. I love this game as a young man back in the '90s. I recently just played it after many years. The gameplay is solid and a lot of fun. Great graphics for the era. My only complaint is I don't know where the hell to go. An arrow points but barely leads you in the right direction. It is very easy to get stuck. But I would still play this even more nowadays. Grade A-

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2020, 7:49 pm

I take back what I said about Truxton. This game rules. Been playing it all day.

Return to “Video Games General”