Christmas Game Recommendations?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Christmas Game Recommendations?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2020, 9:39 pm

I haven't been playing very close enough current/upcoming releases! Tell me what I should consider asking for for Christmas.

Buttermancan

Re: Christmas Game Recommendations?

Postby Buttermancan » November 17th, 2020, 2:40 am

Hi Critic. My recommendation is 'Christmas Nights'.
For Christmas 1996 I got a Sega Saturn and quite a few games. As an excited child I played Christmas Nights first to get into the festive spirit. As you probably know the game is a spin off from 'Nights into Dreams' and some overlook it as little less than a demo. Whilst limited in scope and only containing one level (if I recall correctly) it has various bells and whistles added. You can even play as sonic.
It starts with a beautifully drawn FMV intro with hideously cheesy voice acting, but I love it.
The level used from the full game has been completely over hauled with festive cheer. Snow is falling, there are Christmas trees abound and even the little cherub creatures wear Christmas hats.
From what I remember there is a yearly clock in the game. Certain dates activate different features changing the game to some degree.
I think this is one worth investigating :)

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » November 17th, 2020, 2:44 am

I forgot I was in the modern games forum :D I think I need to review my reading comprehension skills as I thought I was responding to what Christmas games you'd like to see the critic review. Oh dear :D :D :D

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 17th, 2020, 7:51 am

Yeah the title threw me off at first too. I was thinking it was the annual request for Christmas game ideas too. As for what's hot this holiday season - the most anticipated game by far is Cyberpunk 2077. It keeps getting pushed back.. but it looks on schedule for a December 10 release. Last of Us Part II was a big one earlier this year, if you don't have that yet. On Xbox, Halo Infinite is the big holiday release. On the modern-retro side, the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes might interest you. And I highly recommend the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2 remake if you were a fan of the original series. It is a major return to form for the series.

On Switch, it seemed like the new Animal Crossing was the biggest release of the year. For a retro remake, you could check out Super Mario 3D All-Stars, if you want to replay the three most overrated Mario games ever, all in one package.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 17th, 2020, 8:02 am

Buttermancan wrote:Hi Critic. My recommendation is 'Christmas Nights'.

Great game that I try to play every Christmas. The good news is that Christmas NiGHTS is reviewed in the Saturn section. (Since it's technically a demo, the VGC only gave it an NA score.)

And for anyone without a Saturn, an excellent NiGHTS into Dreams remake was released in downloadable form on the Xbox 360, and includes Christmas NiGHTS. I highly recommend it. (Not to be confused with the terrible NiGHTS sequel that came out on Wii.)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 17th, 2020, 9:08 am

Superhot and Astrobot Rescue.

They're a great introduction to what VR can offer.

Plus a headset, of course.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 17th, 2020, 11:49 am

Just found out: Spider-Man: Miles Morales is very Christmas themed.

Enough that you could add it to your annual list.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 17th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Yeah, PixelatedGenocide has a good idea there.. maybe this Christmas is the year to splurge on PS VR. I will admit that I've used mine less than 10 hours in the 2 years I've had it, but it's still a cool device to have around. You might get more mileage with it than I have.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Retro thanks for mentioning Christmas Nights
On the 360. I had the Saturn disc for many years but it seems to have disappeared. I'll look for the 360 version so I can play that again. It was always a lot of fun and very seasonal. Download only? I hope it's still available.

sixam

Postby sixam » November 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

Since you are a Galaga fan, you should get Namco Museum Archive Volume 2 for Switch. It has Gaplus, the sequel to Galaga that I bet you've never played. Galaga '88 was the second sequel to Galaga.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/n ... -2-switch/

Return to “Modern Gaming”