2020/11/21: Playstation 4: Blair Witch

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/11/21: Playstation 4: Blair Witch

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2020, 8:08 am

I would have reviewed this one before Halloween, but it was released late. Anyway let me know what you think about my review.

C64_Critic

Re: 2020/11/21: Playstation 4: Blair Witch

Postby C64_Critic » November 21st, 2020, 9:04 am

Wow, I can't believe you never mentioned that you, personally, have actually been to the REAL Blair Witch house in Burkittsville, Maryland! Before it was torn down, that is.

Good review, the first half made me really want to fire up the game and take it for a spin but the second half seriously pumped those brakes. If I'm trying to get into a 'lost in the creepy woods alone' vibe, the last thing I need is constant flashbacks to a war zone. Sounds like the developers really squandered an opportunity with this one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2020, 9:08 am

Yeah, I bet the first iteration of this game was very short but fun. Then the upper management stepped in and said "we need to make this longer, to give the players more for their money! And we need to flesh out the main characters. Give the guy PTSD!"
And the game just went downhill from there.

For the first half of the game I was thinking solid B, but during the second half I was just like "when is this thing finally going to END?!"

As for the house, it was not actually located in Burkittesville, although I have visited that place too. The house was located in a MD state park near a creepy abandoned missile launch base! Talk about scary!

And the interior of the house was much like that in the game, except of course it did not go on and on.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm

Fantastic review it covered all the bases. I was a huge fan of the film in the theater and have watched it several times on DVD. Asked people today and they either love it or hate it. Sadly a lot of gamers were too young to see it so most probably don't know what the hell it is. But I am all down for this one. This game sounds right up my alley.

sixam

Postby sixam » November 23rd, 2020, 6:37 am

Giving you a dog was a brilliant move, as he not only keeps you headed in the right direction but also locates subtle clues in the scenery.

I just realized, this game is scary version of Blue's Clues!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 23rd, 2020, 1:33 pm

So, I have PTSD. We needn't go into the reasons why.

Anyways...

I'm impressed at how completely nonchalant the character is during a flight or fight or freeze response. Or how chill he is about all the symptoms of Hollywood schizophrenia they actually simulated instead.

Some would call it all bad acting, but how else is the actor supposed to convey "I'm too stupid to avoid my fate."?

I managed to endure watching two minutes of the by the numbers stereotype. I think the critic deserves a purple heart for making it through the entire thing.

I've never wanted to see a sudden Game Over more.

Edit: Thanks for the warning. I was tempted to get this one...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 26th, 2020, 2:07 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So, I have PTSD. We needn't go into the reasons why.

I hope you get over it soon.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 26th, 2020, 2:12 am

Played it on Xbox 1. It has been available for about 1 year. It was on games pass. Not being a fan of the vhs shot video that purported to be a film. Though the second part was well shot just not very interesting. I liked the idea behind TBWP but the execution was lacking.

So I put the game on. I liked the dog. The I spent a weary hour truding around the game and was like hmmm. Not sure this game is for me. So from your review I see that rather than getting better I was playing the best part of the game. Another hmmm moment.

Well Games pass ran out 4 days ago. I thought about renewing it for £12 a month but I like playing games one at a time giving me 100 games gave me gaming fatigue. I never thought I would say it. I think BW suffered from that fatigue but this great review has shown to me that it is probably not the worth the effort and now I have Soma to play any way.

Return to “Review Feedback”